• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ultra-wide angle (UWA) and aquascaping

Cheers :)

This is a nice kinda old article in regard of the dslr vs medium format (actually amano is using large format camera) so he knows what he's saying about detail when shooting with his old school camera.
http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/ ... pdated-ima

Anyway if a nice medium format camera may be cheap ~3-400 quid on ebay you need to consider the rest of expenses (film, scanner, time consumed etc.) put them in balance and see if it's really worth it. Although I thought about it, the current dslr resolution is not a limiting factor for me as I'm doing large prints, I'm still a web guy who has to learn more about photography ...

To stick on the subject just got an used 10-22mm canon (~300) .. might share a pic with you guys soon. :)

OFF

There was an interview with Amano on photography in one if the AJD if i remember correctly. When he heard that the company will not produce films for his special camera he spent a tons of money to buy the remaining stock.

In some ADA shots you can see the fidges in the ADA Gallery. That's packed with films. :D
He is worried that he may not be able to scan these films shortly, he said that that will be the end of an era of his large format shooting.

ON

Thanks for the tip on lens distortion. Will try this too. Wondering which gives the better result. DPP or Lightroom.

Viktor you might consider also DxO :)
Here's the test shot with the 10-22 and the new 600D

7008927501_233fdb1846_b.jpg

Nothing fancy about light, still lazy to unpack the strobes, so .. 2xt5 24w 880 in the back and 1xT5 24w giessemann midday & 1xt5 28w jbl tropic above.

clonitza said:

Nothing fancy about light, still lazy to unpack the strobes, so .. 2xt5 24w 880 in the back and 1xT5 24w giessemann midday & 1xt5 28w jbl tropic above.

Only 100w of light and a Canon 600D ? No strobes ? No expensive equipment. Surely it can't be done :lol:

Awesome pic Mike. AND WOW ! What a scape :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
clonitza said:

Only 100w of light and a Canon 600D ? No strobes ? No expensive equipment. Surely it can't be done :lol:

100W on what size aquarium? Also by my standards this aquarium is almost empty. There is nothing around the water surface to reduce the light level.
Any picture in small size can look good espesially with post processing. What happens if the guy publish here let say 18M size in full since he is using 600D. I can promice you when you see that you will be quite dissapointed.

Aquadream said:
Antipofish said:
clonitza said:

100W on what size aquarium? Also by my standards this aquarium is almost empty. There is nothing around the water surface to reduce the light level.
Any picture in small size can look good espesially with post processing. What happens if the guy publish here let say 18M size in full since he is using 600D. I can promice you when you see that you will be quite dissapointed.

Personally I doubt I would be disappointed at all. Mike is a professional photographer and I have every confidence that a full size image from him would be every bit as good. You have stuff around your water surface causing light blockage ? Move it ! Like I said. Obstacles Obstacles Obstacles.

Antipofish said:

Personally I doubt I would be disappointed at all. Mike is a professional photographer and I have every confidence that a full size image from him would be every bit as good. You have stuff around your water surface causing light blockage ? Move it ! Like I said. Obstacles Obstacles Obstacles.[/quote]
Let see the full size image then, and please no processing. Then we will talk about it more.
Do not confuse misguided confidence with blind admiration.
Buy one 600D and proove me wrong.

Aquadream said:
Antipofish said:

Personally I doubt I would be disappointed at all. Mike is a professional photographer and I have every confidence that a full size image from him would be every bit as good. You have stuff around your water surface causing light blockage ? Move it ! Like I said. Obstacles Obstacles Obstacles.
Let see the full size image then, and please no processing. Then we will talk about it more.
Do not confuse misguided confidence with blind admiration.
Buy one 600D and proove me wrong.[/quote]

Cant be bothered mate.

I'm not a professional photographer just got into photography an year ago when I bought my first DSLR. :) I like to take it slow and learn from here and there, take courses, go to workshops, spend at least 2-3 hours documenting / day, then when I hit a limitation I upgrade my gear. I really don't care I have a cheap camera and others have a 100k one cause at the end of the day I'm satisfied with what I'm doing because I enjoy it and my friends like the stuff I post online.

Anyway lets go back to the photo above, it was done as a test, no fancy setup, I can repeat it someday in the future with proper gear but I'll show you now the process of post production.

I shot RAW on neutral picture style, after that I adjust WB in lightroom for the blue background (I did set the a warm light above and a cold one in the background for that purpose) and then the usual stuff contrast, graduated filters (I was lazy enough not to use them when shooting, I use the cheap Cokin filters btw) and then apply unsharp mask and sharpen in photoshop.

1. the original
2. LR
3. PS - UM & S

1/100, f/3.5 (I usually shot around f/8 for greater detail), ISO 100

Crop applied to all three images, full resolution otherwise.

I can do all this and shot a JPEG from the camera, but I like the workflow in LR and PS. :)

Mike

P.S. Hope you can see them, they are hosted on my server.
P.P.S. Repaired the links

clonitza said:
I'm not a professional photographer just got into photography an year ago when I bought my first DSLR. :) I like to take it slow and learn from here and there, take courses, go to workshops, spend at least 2-3 hours documenting / day, then when I hit a limitation I upgrade my gear. I really don't care I have a cheap camera and others have a 100k one cause at the end of the day I'm satisfied with what I'm doing because I enjoy it and my friends like the stuff I post online.

Anyway lets go back to the photo above, it was done as a test, no fancy setup, I can repeat it someday in the future with proper gear but I'll show you now the process of post production.

I shot RAW on neutral picture style, after that I adjust WB in lightroom for the blue background (I did set the a warm light above and a cold one in the background for that purpose) and then the usual stuff contrast, graduated filters (I was lazy enough not to use them when shooting, I use the cheap Cokin filters btw) and then apply unsharp mask and sharpen in photoshop.

1. the original
2. LR
3. PS - UM & S

1/100, f/3.5 (I usually shot around f/8 for greater detail), ISO 100

Crop applied to all three images, full resolution otherwise.

I can do all this and shot a JPEG from the camera, but I like the workflow in LR and PS. :)

Mike

P.S. Hope you can see them, they are hosted on my server.
P.P.S. Repaired the links

Well your images are as good as many pro's stuff I have seen :)

If you've only been into photography about a year I reckon you're doing pretty good Mike! I look forward to seeing some more of your pics. :D

getting back on track, UWA can add drama to any image.

I find it important to have distinct fore/mid and rear ground subjects to enhance the effect.

uwa-1.jpg

sdreaming-1.jpg

George Farmer said:
Please try to keep the thread on-topic and refrain from antagonising one another. It would be a shame to have to lock this thread.
We just had a nice morning salad with olive branches with Antipofish. :D

Aquadream said:
George Farmer said:
Please try to keep the thread on-topic and refrain from antagonising one another. It would be a shame to have to lock this thread.
We just had a nice morning salad with olive branches with Antipofish. :D
Indeed. Now I know where Georgi is coming from I can understand his posts more. A good argument never hurts now and again. Makes the kiss and make up part better :woot:

Now all I need is someone to tell me why the HC I planted yesterday is floating on the surface of my tank ! LOL. It would go well with Olive Branch salad and a bit of Ham and chutney. But thats another story.

Back