• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKAPS premiere of 'Jack' 2

mrjackdempsey

A couple of months ago my favourite fish passed away after some years in my tank , I got him from someone else fully grown as he was too aggressive in his tank. He wasn't particularly aggressive in my tank but would bulldoze through anything to get to food be that plants or some fish that happened to get in the way.Was told I would never have a planted tank with him and indeed if he didn't like where I put something he would shift it to where he wanted it or dig holes right amongst the crypts.Generally though he was well behaved and it was a sad day when he went to the great fish bowl.
A friend was in a fish shop nearby a few weeks later and this silver cichlid was brought in to be re homed as it was being bullied and part of it's dorsal fin was ripped off from this bullying.This silver fish was a young Jack whose colour was faded because of stress and the friend bought the fish after phoning me if I wanted it .Two days after being in the friend's house it still had not coloured up so when I took it home I wasn't holding out much hope for him but he coloured up within a day showing the lovely colours of the Jack Dempsey despite being chased around the tank by two Salvini cichlids ( think they could tell he is a 'victim' )but that didn't last, soon himself and the male Salvini went everywhere together as best of mates.
Thought today would be a good day for his debut so please be kind to him.
http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae14 ... =014-2.mp4
Just click on the pic to get it to work
Cheers
Dave

Thanks for Jack's welcome he can be a wee bit shy , he is about 7 inches long at the moment but growing fast and loving his food.The original Jack was about 9 inches long but seemed alot bigger but the new lad is far more lively, always begging when you enter the room.Here he is eating one of his 'Scooby snack' -a Nova tab by JBL , his predecessor had more manners taking food gently from your fingers whereas this lad has bitten my fingers several times in his haste to get to his food or if taking a dead leaf from the tank.He is letting me know who is the boss and it's certainly not me :shh:
http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae14 ... =016-2.mp4
Forgive his table manners

Quick update on Jack 2 and it's not good news, the so and so beat merry hell out of the male Salvin cichlid and he had to be put out of his misery a couple of days later as he was slowly getting worse.Afterward my wife found the female Salvin on the floor of the kitchen and threw her back in and the next day I saw the JD chase her until she jumped out of the tank,caught her as she fell and put her into the tank in the front room with blue acaras' and Angels but she is now the bully, fish they're nearly as bad as my children :twisted:
Found a old video of the orginal JD and it's best mate the Salvin trying to beg for food but being harassed by Convicts who had fry .This is the Salvin that Jack 2 later dispatched :(
th_013-1.jpg
Click on the picture to get the video to run

Quick update on Jack.He is now near eight inches, still eats like a pig after catching my fingers numerous times and digging massive pits in the tank even pulling up large plants if they are where it wants to dig. Despite this you still got to love him especially as he seems to be the only one pleased when I get home :(
029-1.jpg

Now there's a face to melt your heart
030-2.jpg

Wish you could carry these colours off
035-1.jpg

Really trying out my anniversary present now must read the instructions

I have always had a soft spot for Jacks not kept them yet but hopefully one day I will. The only large cichlid I have kept was a Gold Saum which was a great fish and was pretty gutted when he died :(

Back