• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKaps Iwagumi

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi folks, some of you will remember that at the Festival of Fishkeeping this year we planted an Iwagumi in front of the public as a bit of a tutorial on how yo plant plants. Well, we all loved the tank and it seemed a shame to rip it down so we decided to keep it running at my house. It's been a month now and all is going well really. I had the inevitable Blyxa die off after such a long time in transit etc but otherwise it retuned relatively unharmed. well, except having to re-plant 20 pots odd glosso :lol:

Whilst at the festival i picked up a Wild Discus from Discus Bananas which i've wanted for ages now for another project, there will be more Discus to follow soon. Having a Wild Discus swimming around in an Iwagumi looks a little odd but i couldn't bare to keep him upstairs where i would rarely get to see him and he's a real crowd pleaser!

The Stats:

Tank: 80 x 45 x 45
Lighting: 150w ADA Solar I on for 7.5hrs
CO2: Columbo Nano CO2 Kit
Filtration: Fluval 405 with Calaqua Glassware
Substrate: JBL Manado, Unipac Zambizi & Tana sand
Hardscape: Unipac Fossilised Wood
Ferts: 10ml of TPN+ per day
Plants: Glosso, Cyperus helferi, Blyxa.

I think thats about it folks, i'm getting some dust algae on the glass but otherwise it's pretty hassle free.

I hope you like it and i am under strict instructions from George and Graeme to keep on top of my maintenance, so here is the proof!
FullTank1109.jpg

Cyperus.jpg

I've never had much luck with Cyperus in the past and i can live with just a few yellow tips :D

im beggining to adorde discus and im torn for my next scape.

do i semi jungle it and have things like rainbows and denisonii's, or have discus. say a group of 4 with something small like harlequins as dither fish. or do i just do a plain iwagumi with a shoal of harlequins, but to me the scape will look quite empty as its quite a tall tank. i might get some crypts and blyxa in the midground, but keep the hairgrass foreground.
any suggestions for the back? (im leaning towards a couple of swords to provide shelter if i go have discus)

im am totally torn. :(

but i love that tank, and hopefully the dicus will love it. (is it big enough, i dont think it is really ?)

planter said:
Nice scape ! I love the fossilised wood .... This tank has given me the inspiration for something BIG ive got planned. :D
Cheers mate, i look forward to seeing your new project!
Nick16 said:
im beggining to adorde discus and im torn for my next scape.

do i semi jungle it and have things like rainbows and denisonii's, or have discus. say a group of 4 with something small like harlequins as dither fish. or do i just do a plain iwagumi with a shoal of harlequins, but to me the scape will look quite empty as its quite a tall tank. i might get some crypts and blyxa in the midground, but keep the hairgrass foreground.
any suggestions for the back? (im leaning towards a couple of swords to provide shelter if i go have discus)

im am totally torn. :(

but i love that tank, and hopefully the dicus will love it. (is it big enough, i dont think it is really ?)
Discus are the business pal, you'll love them!

Only you can decided what to do for your next tank pal, either options sounds good to me :D

Is my tank big enough for the discus? On his own yes but when i get more they are going in my four footer ;)
When i got the chance to get him, it was too much of a good deal to pass up so i had to have him.

are you able to reveal how much you nabbed him for? :D

i prefer active swimming fish like rainbows etc, but discus have such an impact with people and visitors to my house will be mesmerised!

looking good, although having the pressure of George and Graham checking your maintenance is up to scratch maybe a challenge.

Love the scape, did you all produce it?

I didn't even see the discus at first! Love the 'scape. I can never find petrified wood like that at my lfs.

Discus and Iwagumi in the same sentence? o_O

nah, kiddin mate. it'd be a shame not to look at a fish like that.

you just gota keep the scape clean dude.

Hi danielson,
its looking good mate,that discus is looking in good shape,maybe he needs some friends to keep him company some of my cardinals would look good in there,

see ya soon mate,
john.

AdAndrews said:
:clap: Thats awesome, well done lads :D
Discus sure is a crowd pleaser

Adam
Thanks mate :D
andyh said:
looking good, although having the pressure of George and Graham checking your maintenance is up to scratch maybe a challenge.

Love the scape, did you all produce it?
Thanks pal, we all did it together in front of the public so they kinda have a right to make sure it's up to scratch, doh!
aquaticmaniac said:
I didn't even see the discus at first! Love the 'scape. I can never find petrified wood like that at my lfs.
Fossilised wood is my favorite kind of hardscape, if you hadn't noticed LOL As mentioned, TGM and AE both sell it :thumbup:
saintly said:
Discus and Iwagumi in the same sentence? o_O

nah, kiddin mate. it'd be a shame not to look at a fish like that.

you just gota keep the scape clean dude.
You know me dude, not one for "sticking to the rules"
john starkey said:
Hi danielson,
its looking good mate,that discus is looking in good shape,maybe he needs some friends to keep him company some of my cardinals would look good in there,

see ya soon mate,
john.
Cheers pal, i'll pop over and relieve you of some i you like ;)
Maurits said:
Start looking Ok :)
Thanks Maurits, i'm glad you like it.
Lozbug said:
Looks great Dan, glad you kept it up! knew you would ;)
Cheers! I just couldn't resist it!

Thanks everyone :D

I'm really glad you kept this one going Dan, it can't have been easy to move.
I love the look of the discus against an iwagumi.
The hardscape looks slightly different though, was there a rock slide in transit ? :D

Cheers,
James

Back