• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

uk plant ID please

Kezzab

hi, I'm trying to identify the plant pictured below. The flower spike is in the centre of the pic,
WP_20170524_08_34_43_Rich (2).jpg
the leaves are the copper coloured ones floating flat on the surface.

I thought it was Luronuim Natans but the flower seems wrong.

It grows wild in Cumbria, in still and flowing water.

Both are pretty and very easy plants btw, the natans has 2 different growforms, submersed it develops slender grass like leaves and the floaters and flowers ofcourse.. But as the name says it's a weed, if temps are high and rich in ferts it can easily become a pest. But the tropical Potamogeton sp. have much more decorative flowers and some are equaly easy if planted in a very rich substrate. Rather pic one that doesn't need dormancy, but most in the trade don't and are cultivars.. Th enon cultivars which do not need dormancy are less easy to grow. I'm growing a P. Robinsonii at the moment, but my substrate isn't perfect for it, so it strugles a bit.. Yet not mature enough to float and flower.. Hoping to get there.. :)

OOps.. Sorry i always mix the names up.. I was mistaken.. It's Aponogeton Robinsonii.. :oops: I'm growing in the tank.. The both Potamogetons i have in the garden.. :(:confused::)

Back