• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UK cave spiders - the scariest wee beasties in my home!

Ahh but they aren’t all scary. Who wouldn’t want to take this little guy home. 🥰

742EADCE-801D-48A4-8EFE-1DA7C5C74C16.jpeg

I have a fear of spiders but I would never kill them. They are fascinating like all creatures. I scoop them up in a glass and throw them outside. Last year I was shaking my bed out and a false widow fell to the ground. It sounded like a piece of hard candy. That terrified me.

So far as I am aware, they are the only spider to live in social colonies

A long time ago I once had a few days of work at a water treatment plant we had to maintain and replace some old pumps in the pump house. And the outside wall (facade) +/- 160 ft² at the back (forest side) of this little house was from the ground up to the roof totally covered in thick sheets of spiderwebs. I had never seen such a large colony of spiders in my life. Since there never is much human activity on the terrain itself and closed to the public it looked undisturbed for decades and really looked like an Arachnafobia Filmset.

As far as I remember only have seen the Garden spider (Araneus diadematus) in there and thousands of them. I have no idea if they also live intentionally in colonies but it sure looked like that. And it didn't look like each spider had its own little wheel web it looked more like a 160ft² solid and connected and shared web construction.

I guess because of all the water basins around there were enough flying insects and enough to catch and eat and thus no reason to move.

Back then mobile phones with cameras weren't invented yet, all I have is memories of it and it was the first and last time that I've seen it.

a 160ft² solid and connected and shared web construction
Amazing. I think they call those a spider swarm web, or something like that. I have only seen it once before and that was near Zaltbommel, near the canals there,.

Hi all,

Spiders are really difficult to ID.

Do you have a picture of the abdomen pattern? <"araneae - Gallery">

cheers Darrel
I'll see what I can do!

I have quite a few pictures of other spiders though with the exception of this one and the one pictured below (although 'spider' is questionable as it seemed a little uslesss out of water and was happily swimming about I'm my old 60ltr for weeks) I'm usually okay with identification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109_135537_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_135537_Photos.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20231109_135534_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_135534_Photos.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Not sure it's going to end well but here are some better pictures! 😬

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109_140103_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_140103_Gallery.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20231109_140057_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_140057_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • 20231109_140014.jpg
    20231109_140014.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 39
Hi all,
I'm usually okay with identification.
I might start here <"Spiders in your home">.
the one pictured below (although 'spider' is questionable as it seemed a little uslesss out of water and seemed to be happily swimming about I'm my old 60ltr for weeks)
It might be a Water Mite, you get them very commonly in ponds etc. They are quite small. <"Hydrachnidiae | NatureSpot">.

There is an aquatic spider (Argyroneta aquatica) in the UK, but <"I've never seen it">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I might start here <"Spiders in your home">.

It might be a Water Mite, you get them very commonly in ponds etc. They are quite small. <"Hydrachnidiae | NatureSpot">.

There is an aquatic spider (Argyroneta aquatica) in the UK, but <"I've never seen it">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel,

Yes I landed on water mite too eventually, in the absence of proper identification and given my observations, albeit spiders can survive for a supprisingly long time in water. - Argyroneta aquatica would have been nice but as you say rare and likewise I've never seen one or it was so long ago, pottering around investigating rivers and ponds as a child, that I've forgotten.

Might post my other 'Spiders' here too as it seems to be an appropriate thread.

Reading the link reminds me of my bugbear that people refer to Tipulidae/Diptera (crane fly) as Daddy Long legs, to me a Daddy Long Legs has always been Opiliones (harvestmen), moreso even than Pholcidae (cellar spiders) - though it will be driven by people's first experiences with them and how they were referred to by others, I also have to concede that they do all indeed have long legs.

Last edited:
Back