• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Two faced tank

As planned, I took out the bobitis and the najenshan.

IMG-20231022-WA0106.jpeg

As it should be expected, although I didn't and it took me by surprise, removing such a huge plant made a mess in the tank and now it looks like there is something missing. I'm sure eventually I'll get used to it and the plants will quickly take up the free space left. Unfortunately I'm going through a bit of a phase of not having a lot of time to take care of the plants, so I've been doing only basic maintenance. But eventually I'll try and move more moss and pinatiffida back to the center wood piece. I also did a massive session of uprooting and replanting the tops of the rotalas and the L. verticillata, so the tank is looking all weird.

Pictures soon TM

Took some pictures yesterday night.

After this weekend's maintenance, the tank looks like it is at an all time low. Many empty spaces where the bolbitis used to be and many plants are not at their best after being shaded due to lack of proper husbandry during this last month or so. Yesterday I also trimmed most plants heavily and hopefully they will all recover well now that they have access to light again.

In order to try to improve the pictures, I took them at night and turned the tank lights on to the max setting, so the fishes were a little upset...

Usually when I think the tank is looking great, I take pictures and they look meh... This time I thought the tank is looking bad, but the pictures maybe don't capture it that well. My bad pictures are great normalizers, it seems.

Main side:
IMG_20231023_211237.jpg

I was expecting this plant to form a carpet around the plateau, but instead it formed a bush of sorts... I'm just letting it do its thing, although I'll probably trim the runners that are going through the anubias.
IMG_20231023_211259.jpg

This area used to be completely covered by the bolbitis and is now exposed. One can see a Staurogyne growing unchecked, unnoticed for a long time until now.
IMG_20231023_211408.jpg

Rotalas were breaking the surface and were among the plants which were causing the most damage, shadowing half the tank... Only the tops were replanted.
IMG_20231023_211419.jpg

Plants which lost their previous glow after some neglect.
IMG_20231023_211429.jpg

Nymphaea is still looking great. For some reason, the leaves are now considerably smaller and not growing so tall. Maybe related to the reduction of fertilization or maybe of the CO2. They weren't shaded by anyone, at any time. Occasionally, some leaves are melting, which didn't use to happen before. Less trimming needed, I guess.
IMG_20231023_211441.jpg

Not long ago I was complaining in this journal about the Althernanthera mini. As it happens, it started throwing out some happier leaves after I further reduced the fertilization.
IMG_20231023_211539.jpg

Ground zero of the bolbitis removal. The wood piece wasn't visible ever since putting this setup together. The anubias coffefolia grew fine under the canopy. I found a lost anubia lanceolata which was completely covered by everything else and forgotten... And it looks like it.
IMG_20231023_211549.jpg

Now pictures from the back side of the tank. Plateau wars going strong and refreshed with the introduction of a single stem of (insert plant name which I forgot) that I found floating some day. Pinnatifidas are often removed from this area, but they are relentless.
IMG_20231023_211606.jpg

Buces are looking better live than they do in the pictures... A couple of rhizome points lost all their leaves recently, maybe because of the shadowing? They are all still one big rhizome.
IMG_20231023_211616.jpg

Oops, forgot to trim this one...
IMG_20231023_211627.jpg

Anubia barteri, used to be completely covered by bolbitis... How will it react to receiving direct light once again?
IMG_20231023_211652.jpg

Last edited:
I was away for a few days and yesterday I had time for a more careful maintenance session.

Some weird things are happening. I already reported that the nymphaea is acting weird and that the Echinodorus is not looking good. I had noticed a few buce tips which had lost all leaves, but yesterday I found half of the buce not attached to the rock they have been growing in for over an year. After careful examination, several bits of rhizome turned to mush. After some cleaning, I used this opportunity to move that half of the plants to the central wood piece, left uncovered when I removed all the bolbitis.

The walichii are all stunted... Some of the tips are showing signs of reviving, so it'll probably come back. Hopefully.

I was imagining that all these weird things were happening because many stems were overgrown for a while and blocked circulation and light. This has been set right for a week now. There is also the reduction of ferts overall, which could have hurt the plants. I can't measure NO3, but the red root floaters are still not red at all, so I assume they are not NO3 starved yet...

BUT, yesterday I found something odd. A long while ago, all my smart plugs lost their connection to the app. I reconnected the one with the lights and noticed that in doing so, it lost its programming. Since all the other plugs were still working according to the previous program, I just let them be, to avoid having to reprogram everything. The circulation pumps in particular were programmed in an overly complicated way, with lots of cycles and alternating between both wavemakers. Then yesterday I noticed that the circulation pumps weren't turning on. I connected them to the app again and programmed it all again. Then I realized that I didn't know if the CO2 was running! It was already past its working hour. Possibly it wasn't. The drop checker has been watery blue for a long time, but I assumed it was just time to change the solution, which I didn't do because time was short and the suction cups are infuriating, so I always dread messing with it.

In short, it is entirely possible that the tank has been deprived of CO2 for a while, and of circulation for a few days. Having fixed both issues, and with the plants properly trimmed hopefully things get back on track once again.

In other news, after removing the bolbitis, there was a side of the plateau that had gone wild. The Staurogynes were huge, mixed with pinnatifidas. So I chopped them to bits and realized that all the soil from that side of the plateau is gone, drained into the poorly executed stone work from when I put the tank together. The plants don't seem to miss it, but the area where I trimmed was looking particularly bare. I considered adding fresh soil, but decided against it, fearing that it would bury eventual fishes that could have been living in there, like the kuhlis, which I haven't seen in a long time. And just as I was thinking that, a very small cory emerged from the stones and went back inside. In the end, I just picked my glass vase where I'm growing the Echinodorus aflame and chugged it among the stones. Problem solved! And one less suction cup to worry about, this glass vase was always falling from its place.

Today I'll move the blue acaras from the quarantine to the main tank. They grew quite a bit in there and are looking really good. I dosed 2ppm of levamisole, but haven't seen any worms coming out from the fish.

Hopefully my next set of pictures will be of renewed growth and a less messy layout.

Yesterday I was looking at the Echinodorus parviflorus, it looked back at me with its pitiful damaged leaves, and then it hit me! It's fish damage! In hindsight it was obvious, but then again... it almost always is. The ottos are always resting on its leaves, but it is probably the work of the sabaji plecos.

Now I'm not sure if I leave the plant there, since the plecos are enjoying it, or if I remove it and replace with something else. I noticed that the new growth is looking better, so I don't think it is in any imminent danger of dying. But I'll probably choose to remove it because it isn't looking good and I want happy plants in this tank. Ultimately it is a shame, since it had never grown so lush by my hand as it has in this setup.

This weekend I again had some extra play time, so I decided to clean the canister. I clean the pre filter every week, but it had been a while since I opened the canister. How long? Well, apparently long enough for an ant farm to grow in it. When I opened the top and saw all the ants running around carrying their eggs and whatnot, I panicked/strategized and ran to the the garden, where I sprayed the ants with as much pressure as my garden hose could muster. There may have been warcries and battle hymns, or maybe panicked screams. It may have looked glorious or pathetic. After a while the ants took refuge inside the inner chambers of the canister, so I had to open it further, removing the screws and exposing the pump. After further battling, they scattered helplessly. For a moment, I feared that I wouldn't be able to reassemble everything, since I didn't exactly take my time to memorize which part came from where, but in the end everything worked. The canister itself wasn't particularly dirty, so that's always good to know.

Since I reduced the CO2 a while back, following my plan to slow things down, I decided to measure the pH in the afternoon to see if it had increased a bit. I hadn't measured it in a long while. It is still below 6.0, so outside of the range of my test. The intensity of the yellow color suggests that it is significantly below 6.0, though, the same as it has always been with the CO2 on... The dropchecker, on the other hand, doesn't move too far from greenish blue or blueish green. The excessively purple lights I have probably don't help with reading it. Note to self, next setup I'll ditch this indoor plant light nonsense and go with more CRI.

Other than that, things are looking better than they were a while ago. I may decide to get rid of the Ludwigia verticillata because it just grows much faster than all the other plants...

It is now the end of a massive heat wave that hit a big part of the country. Despite adopting some protective matters, such as keeping the hood slightly open to allow for better air circulation, and having the cooler blowing nonstop, water temperature was almost 30°C for more than a week. In the past, when I didn't have the cooler, I would get even higher temperatures on occasion, so it is not something completely new.

A week ago I cleaned the pump used for the CO2 reactor system. The intake was mostly blocked. There was a noticeable improvement with the reactor after cleaning the pump's intake, and I must make sure not to let it get this clogged again in the future.

To complete the triad, I was less then punctual with the urea dosing last week, my solution ended and I took a few days to mix a new one. Since there has recently been a reduction of fertilization, maybe the additional unintended reduction may have hurt a bit more.

Plants overall are not looking great. Many of them lost their brightness. There are also some more structural issues with the layout, with the substrate draining away from the higher areas, becoming too thin in places and too thick elsewhere. The plateau area is completely without any substrate, from what I can see. The carpeting plants are really overgrown there, but I'm not sure how to proceed, I'm afraid to hurt them too much and I won't be able to replant them without substrate.

All things combined, and for a moment I decided it was time to start thinking about the next layout for this tank. But then I spent some time looking at it and changed my mind. I like this layout. I'm not ready to end it. So I came up with an action plan.

First, I'll work on keeping things working well, stably, for at least a couple of weeks. CO2 is back where intended, fertilization was resumed, temperature dropped to 26~27ºC.

Then I'll try to do a major correction of the substrate. Recently, after I obliterated my planted quarantine tank when trying to save the blue acaras from icth, I removed 90% of the aqua soil and rinsed it well. The amount of pitch black water generated was beyond description. After that, I put the substrate back and planted it sparsely. To my surprise it is working perfectly. So I'll do something similar. I'll siphon the aquasoil from the lower parts of the tank where it shouldn't be, clean it a bit and reintroduce it to the intended location. I'll strip the plateau from all plants and remake the substrate. This time, I'll add some sort of gardening root-barrier cloth to prevent the substrate from draining again. I'll add new substrate and plant again. I'll use some fresh aquasoil for the plateau, I still have some.

Hopefully this will give new life to the tank. On the bright side, for some unknown reason, this tank is extremely resilient against algae. Even after all that, I only get green spots and some black spots on the anubias.

In other news, this weekend I noticed that there are no more snails in the tank... After some head scratching, my current theory is that the blue acaras ate them. I didn't know they did that, and I haven't seen them doing it, but it was the only recent change that could affect the snails that I can think of.

Attachments

• IMG_20231115_112338.jpg
    IMG_20231115_112338.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20231115_112400.jpg
    IMG_20231115_112400.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
I've been doing the weekly maintenance regularly. Some plants have improved, others not so much. Half of my buces turned to mush. The wallichii is looking like it won't make it. I won't work this next Friday, so it's the perfect day to implement the first part of the deep substrate cleaning strategy.

I was revisiting this thing with the snails, which disappeared. At first I thought it as the new fish who ate them, but now I think that is very unlikely. The tank has way too many plants for the snails to hide and lay eggs undisturbed. Now I'm considering that there has been some sort of collapse of the already small carbonate reserve. It may be related to whatever happened and disturbed the plants. I remember measuring the pH of a degassed sample and it being close to 7.0, but this time I took a sample early in the morning, left it to degas a while longer, then aerated it multiple times with a syringe, and the pH was at 6.0, which is the lower end of my test... For some reason, it didn't occur to me to measure the KH, which would usually be around 0.5~1.0dKH (the sample would change color with the second drop of the reagent, when using twice the size of the water sample).

It may be that the reconstruction of the substrate will fix any issue related to accumulation of organic matter. In any case, for the last 2 water changes I added CaCO3, enough to raise the KH of the water changed by roughly 0.5dKH. I know people work with 0 KH without issues, but I personally dislike having such a low pH, especially after adding CO2.

This week I stopped adding Fe EDDHA. I noticed that the GSA are getting more aggressive, so I wanted to try to reduce the iron concentration. And it is not like the pH is getting in the way of iron availability... And my Fe EDDHA powder turned into a big stone, so I'm not even sure if it is still working. I purchased a dosing pump, my Christmas gift. Straight from Aliexpress, it should arrive somewhere between 15 days and 15 months. Then I'll try and dose iron, micros and urea every day, maybe twice a day?

Talking about micros, it crossed my mind that they could have hurt the snails as well... My shrimp tank is going through some crisis as well, so I thought maybe copper? My micros mix supposedly adds 0.01 ppm Cu at recommended dose, but I only use 1/6 of that. So I guess that's not the issue. This mix adds a weirdly high concentration of Zn though...

In any case, I should have an update next weekend.

Even small cichlids (Apistos) were always very efficient killers of my snails. Up to certain size, though. The biggest ramshorns survived. Only gradually I realized that the smaller ones were gone. And the cichlids did not let a single junior to grow up the safe size.

Micros other than iron. I don't dose them regularly. Not even in fishless tanks, i.e. without any feeding. In fact, I quite doubt whether I've ever seen manifest damage caused by lack of any micros (other than iron). I tend to believe we generally overdose them. Yes, I admit that with CO2 the growth is much faster and nutrients consumption with it. Yet my doses are truly lean.

Rotala wallichii stunts quite often. I don't know for sure, but I do have two tips: either phosphorus or iron.

Last edited:
Micros other than iron. I don't dose them regularly.
Thank you for your reply. In all honesty, I've been diligent with the micro dosing mostly because this mix I use is heavy handed on Mn, and in the not so long ago past I had some chlorosis issues when I stopped dosing micros altogether. Still, I dose 1/6th of the recommended dose. When I say I would dose every day with the dosing pump, it would be the equivalent fraction, not increasing the weekly dose.

After things set a little bit, I plan to reintroduce some snails and pay more attention to the new fish.

In other news, it has been crossing my mind that my lights are too red. And I wonder if that may in some way stimulate the plants in a bad way. When searching around, I only found comments saying that it doesn't really matter in planted tanks, but still... I could easily change the setting of my indoor growth lights, they have a switch to turn off half the red LEDs. But I have it in me that my lighting levels are overall in the lower side and reducing the lights could be detrimental... So for now it is something to be tested another time. Right now, the concern is the substrate.

To my legion of followers, I fear that my silence may have been disturbing. As you may recall, in my last posts, I was excited about a local holiday in which only I wouldn't work and I would have the house all to myself. And in that very special day, I would start the larger substrate changes and maintenance, with plenty of time to do things right. I had been meticulous with my maintenance during the previous week, and the plants were allowed to grow a bit, so that they would be trimmed and replanted during said maintenance.

As it happens, all went down the drain as I succumbed to disease. For nearly the entirety of the month of December, I was in bed rest, without any energy to spare. My tanks went through a very real resilience test, as during the first weeks I only managed to feed the fishes every other day, and the ferts routine was even worse. The plants, which were already on the point of being heavily trimmed, became massively overgrown. I won't bother with the details, but it was nasty. At some point, after maybe 2 weeks, I got someone to help me fill the tanks back up, as the water was evaporating fast. On my main tank, it was getting to the point where the upper wave maker was getting exposed to air. My shrimp tank, which is kept a bit cooler, was half empty by then, many of the plants were drying out. Maybe one week later, I was able to get around the house a bit more and the feeding routine improved. After some negotiation, my wife agreed to help me with the special maintenance, which was important because I had to trim the plants and do a serious water change. My wife had reiterated many times during our time together that she would never help me with anything related to aquarism, so it was most gracious of her to help.

And so it happened, we did a major do-over of the right side of the tank, where mostly the stem plants are kept. We uprooted everything, trimmed without pity, removed all of those annoying pebbles that originally were meant to stay hidden for volume, but quickly made their way to the top, and then siphoned all the aquasoil. We washed the aquasoil until it was mostly clean, then put everything back in place, without the pebbles. I added some fresh aquasoil on the bottom, to compensate for the lost volume. I was pretty happy with the result. I also moved the plants a bit, the blyxas are now a little farther back so they don't get squeezed against the front glass.

One week later, my wife helped me again with the water change, so now things are almost back on track. The second part of the large maintenance plan, which remakes the soil in the plateau, will have to wait until I'm fully back.

All in all, as far as I know, no fish died. The plants definitely didn't like being left alone. I always wondered if less was more and that leaving the tank alone for a while would help, but if the amount of GSA on the anubias is to be used as an indicator, plants hated it.

I got a dosing pump, but haven't been able to install it. I got a Sera auto feeder for my vacations, but from the tests I made it is completely bonkers and will spin around forever sometimes, if left alone. I'll try it one more time with fresh batteries, but if it doesn't work, a LFS will hear some complaints.

My wife had reiterated many times during our time together that she would never help me with anything related to aquarism, so it was most gracious of her to help.
This is so relatable! My wife is amazing and we do everything together, but when I mentioned getting a fish tank… the first thing she said was she will not get involved at all. I think tanks are oddly polarising. I’m glad you got the help you needed and 5 wife points to your Mrs.

Alright, it's been a while since my last update here.

Things didn't go as well as I expected for this start of the year. Even after I recovered from my illness, I had some busy weeks and had to leave the tanks to fend for themselves a few times. All in all, this tank demonstrated resilience and things stayed reasonably stable. That being said, the plants are in dire need of some attention and they show it.

A few weeks ago, I did the refurbishing of the plateau, as planned. I removed all the plants, covered the pebbles at the base with a gardening synthetic cloth thing meant to stop weeds or something like that, and then added a mixture of old and new aqua soil. I carefully trimmed and selected the plants to add then back to the plateau, and it was great! Good as new. Twelve hours later, all the plants were floating. The fishes became obsessed with that region. I tried to replant them a couple of times, but then I gave up and left the plants floating. Only the Echinodorus aflame took root, and is reigning supreme atop the plateau. I figured I'd let the fish satiate their curiosity for a week, and at the next water change, I'd try to plant everything again.

As it happens, the week after that I didn't have time to do aquarium stuff, so I pushed it to this last weekend. It was Carnaval, so that meant that I had a lot of time on my hands and for sure would be able to dedicate as many hours to aquatic gardening as I wanted.

Sunday I was all set to dive deep in buckets and trimming scissors and the such, but when looking carefully at what would be needed to do, I found a massive cloud of fish fry at a corner, and a couple of blue acaras dedicated at keeping every other fish away from that quadrant. One short panic attack later, and everything had to be re planned. Those fishes were very hard to obtain, and I've looked for them for a long time. And they weren't cheap either. So getting them to procreate would be awesome, although I wasn't planning on effectively trying anything due to my absolute lack of experience with purposefully reproducing fishes.

But since the acaras took the lead and decided to give it a try, I decided to do my best to get out of their way. Still, I had to do a water change, it had been 15 days and the tank wasn't in great shape. I changed the script a bit and changed water in a less intrusive way. I completely ignored the plants, so no trimming and no replanting. Even then, it was quite obvious that the parents didn't like all the ruckus and they moved their fry elsewhere. Then later they returned. But it wasn't without significant losses and, over this week, the original ~200 fry are now closer to 30, as a rough guess. But given the situation, in my mind if I get 10 to survive, it will be a massive success. I did rescue a single one which was left behind during the migration and it is now residing alone in my quarantine tank. As of last night, it was still happily swimming around, although it is quite hard to find.

In other news, a while ago I returned home from a three days absence an found one of the male apple melanotaenia dead. It was a big surprise, because they are the largest fishes in the tank and I expected them to give me a warning if something was wrong. In the following days, I noticed the remaining male to be very agitated, constantly harassing the two females. One of them started to show signs of being sick, so I moved her to the quarantine for a week, treating with a melaleuca extract. She did recover and went back to the main tank. However for some reason the quarantine tank, which is a very old planting experiment tank, now only sparsely planted but very mature, was suddenly overrun with green spot algae, to the point that in only three days, it was impossible to actually see the fish being treated... I was without time for less urgent things such as scrapping the glass, so it had to wait until this last weekend. And then, surprise surprise, the female apple melanotaenia had left a bunch of eggs spread all around for me to clean.

I'm now unsure what to do with them, the male is still agitated and the two females are often hiding in a corner. I don't know if I should get a new male, I don't know if this male killed the other one, or if the other one's death triggered this behavior. I'm even considering giving all 3 of them away. I guess I'll open a new topic asking for suggestions.

I finally installed the dosing pump I had bought in December and it is not working great. It is a Jebao 4.4. When I bought it, it didn't come with any of the boring technical specifications, such as precision, minimum dosing volume, but I thought that I didn't need anything too fancy, and the price difference was significant. Once I downloaded the app, however, it was very clear that they don't push the hardware to the limit. Doses are only entered as integers of mililiters, so the minimum dose is 1ml... I planned on dosing 1.5ml of iron, so that got me a bit frustrated. In the end, I cheated the calibration procedure and told it that I set a 20ml sample, when I only had 10ml. Now I can dose 1,5ml when setting it to 3ml.

But the major issue is that it is not keeping the tubes filled. Slowly, the liquid recedes back to the bottle. I tried a fix I found on youtube, changing the position of a plastic part that keeps the internal pins in place, but that didn't help. I tried an old one-way valve I had here, but it didn't work. Now I got a new valve and it is currently being tested. If that doesn't work, unfortunately the bottles will need to be kept above the tank, and the wife won't like that one bit.

Hello! It's been a while since I last posted here, but mostly because nothing noteworthy came up and things are not as well as I would hope.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-08 at 09.37.07(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-08 at 09.37.07.jpeg

No effort was made to make the tank any more presentable for the pictures haha. In fact, only when looking at them in the computer that I noticed that the glass could go with some algae scrapping. In order to take the pictures without all the usual reflexes, I turned the lights to full when it was almost done fading off at night, and the fish didn't enjoy that all that much.

For a long while now I have been slowly reducing the ferts, moving from something inspired by EI to something closer to lean dosing. In the most recent iteration, which I believe should be the final step of this change, I followed Happi's suggestions as much as I could, while using my tap water. I don't have my spreadsheet here right now, but I'm now at a position with K < Mg < Ca, and a significant reduction of phosphorus from what I had at the very start. I also stopped adding any Ca to the water, since my tap water comes with a GH of 3, which I'm assuming, without any evidence, that it is mostly Ca. I reduced Mg a bit to compensate for the reduction of Ca.

My plants were never an example of health and happiness, but they survive and grow, so it us both good and bad news that in practice I haven't noticed any significant change throughout this whole change. Oh, I also recently stopped adding extra Boron, which I did add for a very long time. As with most of my changes, adding Boron (in addition to my micro mix, which adds a particularly small amount of B) didn't change anything significantly. In fact, if anything, I got the feeling that some plants developed curved leaves, but I can't really associate one thing with the other. As always, when using tap water, we really don't know what sort of micros could be present already... Especially around here, where we don't get water quality reports of any use.

I installed an automatic doser, the cheapest I could find. It is now responsible for adding Fe, micros and urea, a little bit every day. I feel it was a positive change, but I'm still struggling with this doser, it has the weirdest tendency to form air pockets inside the tube, but starting from the center, not from the ends. I have to purge the lines every now and then. I have two theories, but neither convince me very much. Either the silicone tubing is permeable to air, or the union between the silicon tubing and the small tubing strip that goes through the doser is allowing air to sip in. But it looks like a very tight union. I have PU tubing that I use for CO2, but it is not transparent. I suppose I could try to get some clear LDPE tube. I'm aware that this all involves the check valves being crap, but it still doesn't explain how the bubbles are forming from the center of the tubing.

Layout-wise, I have been having issues with rooting plants, both in my plateau intended for carpeting plants and on the corner that was meant to be a place for stem plants. Both these regions ended up with only thin layers of substrate, and this brand I used in my last modification in these areas feels very light, it doesn't hold the plants well. With my ever growing army of Cory sterbais, with 4 plecos (or was it 5?), the garra flavatras and now the blue acaras, the plants don't stand a chance when trying to root to a new place. After renovating the plateau, only the Echinodorus aflame and a single staurogyne manage to stay in place. I tried multiple times to replant the area and to protect the plants with toothpick walls, but it didn't work. Now I'm hoping this single staurogyne will spread. Whoever finds a lost toothpicks in the pictures get an extra point!

Yesterday I had it with the stems corner. Only my rotalas and the Ludwigia verticilata survived, but they grew too fast and needed constant replanting of the tops. Sometimes I would get away just trimming and not replanting, but the result wasn't nearly as good as when I replanted the tops. And since it is getting harder and harder to replant the tops without the fishes pulling them all out, I gave up. All the stems are gone, as you may notice from the picture. I will give stems one last chance, I want to try Hemianthus micranthemoides. I never tried this plant before and I think it will form a dense bush, impenetrable to the fishes, and that I can trim it without having to replant the tops. I'll also try to form a well groomed bush of Microsorum trident. If it works, I'll undo the mess of Mirosorums that I have on the other side, they aren't attached to anything and in all honesty, I just chugged the plants there when I put this tank together, because I didn't know what to do with them, they didn't have a place in the layout and I didn't want to throw them all away.

I have plans to do a drastic trimming on the anubia nanas. They formed a dense wall of leaves in the narrow region between the rocks and the glass, and it is accumulating a lot of dirt in there. I have been making a point to try to vacuum as much as possible with water changes, but there is always more. The are still plagued with green spots and black spots, they have been since day one and this is my single largest frustration with this tank. The Echinodorus parviflorus made a comeback after almost dying for whatever reason. The crypts are all kind of OK, but not really. Except the balansae, which is trying to take over the world. I trim it aggressively, although it doesn't look like it. The Nymphaea is also huge. It is constantly losing small leaves, I don't know why, but it is also always growing despite me trimming grown leaves constantly. The pinattifidas stopped spreading for a few months after the mess that was the start of the year, but now they started growing again. And finally, the bolbitis sprout back from the beyond, after I thoroughly removed all of them in October. There must have been some very small piece of rhizome left somewhere and it just grew back.

As always, for some reason this tank is extremely resilient to algae, except for green spots. But even the green spots are less aggressive now, the fact that the glass isn't clean shouldn't be used as evidence against it, since I haven't cleaned it in more than a month.

Now for the fish talk. The sterbais are slowly increasing the herd, all on their own. Every time I try to interfere and collect some eggs to raise them in a safe place, I get nothing. But in the tank, it seems that the luckiest fry do get a chance to grow. The blue acaras got a second batch of fry. During the first one I was completely unprepared, so I mostly just let things happen in the main tank without interfering much. One week after the fry were free swimming, they were all gone. This time, as soon as the fry were swimming, I collected a few of them and moved them to another tank, where I try to feed them. As it happened before, the fry left in the tank are now all gone, but the ones I collected look to be doing well. I counted 18 of them, and as far as I can tell, I only lost one. It must be noted that every time the blue acaras spawn, they become very unfriendly to the layout, and played a big part in my frustration with replanting the stem plants.

The apple melanotaenias also lay eggs every now and then, but they simply become breakfast for the rest of the tank. I don't even know if they get fertilized or not, but with zero care for their safety, they don't stand a chance. In seconds they are gone.

Since I hadn't seen any of the kuhlis for a long time, at some point I just assumed they all died. In fact, when I started planning the change of the substrate on the plateau, one concern was that I would accidentally crush them or trap them. But when the time came, I already thought they were gone, so I didn't really take any special care. Then last week, out of the blue, I saw two of them, for only a brief moment. If there are 2, there may be more, who knows. And the same happened with the ghost shrimps, I assumed they all died after being missing for months, then one of these days I saw one...

Aaaand now things are up to date in this journal.

Back