• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar DIY

TallDragon

Hi al DIY-ers
would there be anyone who could build a Cheaper Twinstar algae inhibitor. -- I thought I'd get the conversation going.

I found the patent docs:
Patent EP2656732A1 - Apparatus for controlling algal blooms and killing pathogens in fish tank - Google Patents
Apparatus for controlling algal blooms and killing pathogens in fish tank
EP 2656732 A1
or
The US patent
Patent US20130284108 - Apparatus for controlling algal blooms and killing pathogens in fish tank - Google Patents

Let the discussion begin?
TD

I can't believe it!!!! It costs a fortune!!!! Just air? That's all?

It probably costs so much because of the expensive metal parts: Claim2: "The killing apparatus as claimed in claim 1, wherein the first conductive mesh and the second conductive mesh are made of titanium and have surfaces coated with platinum group metals."

It probably costs so much because of the expensive metal parts: Claim2: "The killing apparatus as claimed in claim 1, wherein the first conductive mesh and the second conductive mesh are made of titanium and have surfaces coated with platinum group metals."
And the electronics unit. Iirc the replacement discs were £60~

Yes god forbid anyone should actually take the time and effort to research, produce, test and market for the goodness of their soul... :rolleyes:

It should, in theory, be easy enough to replicate. The parts are readily available for water ionoisers and jewellery plating devices. Getting hold of the electrodes and then controlling them simply if you don't already have a source could make the DIY non viable to start with though as water ionisers aren't exactly cheap and readily available devices.

micro/nano O2 bubbles would be easily produced by electrolysis, wouldn't it ?

So this would be really good for oxygenation of a shrimp tank?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
So this would be really good for oxygenation of a shrimp tank?
It could go either way, what you wouldn't know would be what effect the nano-bubbles have on the shrimplets, particularly if they get beneath the carapace.

If it did work (and that is still a big "if" in my opinion), it may also reduce the biofilm on surfaces, Catappa leaves etc. that aids shrimplet survival.

There may also be REDOX effects that effect the long term stability of the tank.

If you were worried about low dissolved oxygen levels in your tank, a bit more flow (or an air stone at night) would both be much cheaper ways of raising dissolved oxygen levels.

cheers Darrel

All.

Just thought i would let you know i had my twinstar nano installed in my 30l PRL shrimp tank (low setting) for the last 3 weeks and not notice any ill effect if anything the shrimp (including shrimplets) are significantly more active. It was meant to have been a one week test but I've both been a bit lazy and also run out of mini oxydator solution that i was using to oxygenate water so device has remained in tank.

I have notched that they are now selling a shrimp version in the east, thou no ones seems to stock that model here in the UK.

Thou i hadn't consider the possible reduce biofilm effect, i am however supplementing with some powdered food.

Hi, to all DIYers as my friend saying first we have to broke down the thing, find out how it works ..and then make our own version...LOL...Yes Twinstar kind of rediscover the wheel and I am really surprised that European guys did not come out with their version.....even in the UK there are smart asses who can produce the device instead we have to buy the overpriced Taiwanese thing????? Hre is my DIY version which has to be upgraded to nice transperent casing and better elecrodes for now I use stainless steel mesh electrodes, 12v 2A I think phone charger...but laptop charger is better....and simple timer to reproduce Twinstar IC lol......lol....and their unique algorithm for driving the magical device......anyway hopefully everyone understand how those juju device works...and that actually they sell nothing but AC power supply, timer and two electrodes in shiny case...lol
IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

The performance of Twinstar depends a lot on the water chemistry.....softer and cleaner water =less visible bubles, but less salts buildup on the mesh
harder water and more salts including fertilisers=better conductivity and more visible cloud of nanobubles...but faster buildup of salts on the mesh electrodes
God bless the peole with big pockets who support our Taiwanese friends and will buy even spare mesh elecrodes for their Twinstar...no matter they are not even on sale in UK....LOL, LOL
God help to the fellas with hard water skapes and Seiry or other leaching carbonates hardskape.......cause the replacement mesh is not even in sale......

Thanks for watching....[DOUBLEPOST=1402660368][/DOUBLEPOST]Can not really understand why the mesh has to be made of titanium plated with rare platinum group metals?????? Any one ???? Any inert metal which do not oxidase will work...lets say stainless steel mesh which you can get any sizes and wholes per inch from e-bay...Thanks

Last edited:
That might work on the brainwashed americans or whoever the video is created for...what I am saying is that buying expensive Taiwanese product which claims will be the panacea for the absence of the understanding of aquarium hobby and patience of caring of your fish tank is unacceptable. That product might help in our battle with the algae...but will not replace the cares and maintenance of your aquarium. How about having a full life support system for your fish tank which will last years of not forever? I like gadgets dont get me wrong...but the fact that they came up on new Twinstar called shrimp, which reminds me of how Apple comes on their next but still under testing and imperfect version of I-Phone......and the fact that there are no different size versions but one universal 6 cm size......and the fact that the body is not transparent and undistracting, but some bizarre colors which actually enhance the mysticism behind the product.....LOL, and the fact that there is not explenation of what is the actual product but what will turn your aquaskape into and what are the results of UNKNOWN people..........Will make me NOT spend my hard earned money on this product, but DIY one which will make me even happier.

Thanks ...for the understanding!

Back