• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar 450 EA … vs … ???

CJM70

Ok so I have a Twinstar 450 EA light unit. It’s awesome, but I want more functionality. Stuff like individual colour channel adjustment, lightning effect, moonphase etc.

I believe Chihiros can offer that but would be grateful for other suggestions of other alternatives? Which brand is considered the better quality? Twinstar or Chihiros? What other decent options do people choose? (ADA is not in my budget, so please no mention of them haha).

Attachments

• 5277A672-0778-40F1-956F-43B674E67DCE.png
    5277A672-0778-40F1-956F-43B674E67DCE.png
    507.1 KB · Views: 215
according to their FB, Chihiros has already started to ship a limited number of WRGB2 Pro to retailers. Maybe dealers will clear stocks of the old WRGB2 or you may find some 2nd hand ones for sale as their owners are upgrading to the pro. I confess that I am tempted to upgrade to WRGB2 Pro.... 😅

From his social media posts, Dennis Wong has been testing the Week Aqua LEDs but I haven't seen him formally recommending it in his posts - might well be that he did not find any improvement from the addition of UV bulbs.

I've got a chihiros WRGB II. It's a very good light and fully adjustable.
Thanks out of interest why did you go with your heroes instead of twin star? Was it the greater flexibility

Not sure what you mean I'm afraid.
It was a voice to text translation error. Read "your heroes" as "Chihiros". Given the topic, it's an understandable mistake. Surprised the penny didn't drop 🤣😂

How about Aqua Illumination Prime?, I have them running on a couple of tanks and love them. I also have a redundant Twinstar 450 EA as I prefer the Prime. Also the MyAI app is probably the best app on the market for freshwater lights, they also have a dedicated Moonlight.
The point source lights like AI prime, Kessil etc give a completely different feel to tanks too compared to Twinstar/Chihiros, with any surface agitation they give off a shimmer that you don't get with the Twinstar etc with their rather flat light, you also get more shadowing with the AI prime, you'll probably get better coverage with the Twinstar, but in my opinion I like the natural look you get with the AI Prime, all depends on your personal preference.

How about Aqua Illumination Prime?, I have them running on a couple of tanks and love them. I also have a redundant Twinstar 450 EA as I prefer the Prime. Also the MyAI app is probably the best app on the market for freshwater lights, they also have a dedicated Moonlight.
The point source lights like AI prime, Kessil etc give a completely different feel to tanks too compared to Twinstar/Chihiros, with any surface agitation they give off a shimmer that you don't get with the Twinstar etc with their rather flat light, you also get more shadowing with the AI prime, you'll probably get better coverage with the Twinstar, but in my opinion I like the natural look you get with the AI Prime, all depends on your personal preference.
Can you change the RGB channel levels individually?

Yeah, has 6 channels for each colour of led, R,G,B, Warm white, Cool white and the moonlight you can also adjust to suit a preferred colour temp if desired.

Yeah, has 6 channels for each colour of led, R,G,B, Warm white, Cool white and the moonlight you can also adjust to suit a preferred colour temp if desired.
Thanks is there any chance you could upload some pictures of it for me. It sounds very interesting I will have to check it out

wrgb2 is stronger, cheaper and has more adjustability with built in dimmer and rgb adjustability and a variety of presets to choose from. only con is the app i've heard some have issues with the bluetooth, though, it seems quite rare so i wouldn't worry about it. mine works perfectly.

colours.
1642190021898.png
1642190107036.png
1642190205459.png

Last edited:
Heres a few pics of my AI Primes, I've got 3 over my 260L tank, and one over a newly setup shallow tank there a two closer images to show the shadowing effect you get with the AI Prime compared to the twinstar. I've also added two videos one with the Twinstar 450e at full power the other of the AI prime set to comparable 21w power and set to 7000k to mirror the twinstar, the video seems over emphasises the shimmer effect but shows the differences between the two types of light quite well. Like I said it's a preference thing the twinstar type may be better for growing plants with the better coverage but the AI prime does a perfectly good job and I like the natural sunlight feeling you get from the prime.

IMG_2886.png IMG_3228.JPG IMG_3226.JPG IMG_3227.JPG

Back