• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twin filter CO2

MarkS

Hi all :)

A quick question. I intend to have two external filters each flowing into it's own spray bar. In order to get an even distribution of CO2 I will put an inline diffuser in each flow line.

Here is my question. Do I need to have a bubble counter and control valve for each diffuser?

Thanks

Mark

How you getting your co2, from pressurised canisters? Just wondering what you mean by "control valve". If from co2 gas pressurised then the regulator will have some control valve built in no? Bubble counters aren't essential if you are using a drop checker to see the results but are a handy visual reference to see what affect turning up your gas has had instantly and they are cheap so why not. Unless you are talking about diy fermenting gas that is.

Ah, I see. I assumed I needed some sort of control valve (needle valve) to increase or decrease the flow of CO2. Hadn't realised the regulator did that. Guess the clue is in the word 'regulator' :confused:

Sorry for the dumb question :)

No such thing as a dumb question here mate ;) having said that I have came across some regs that don't have any adjustment where you will have to put one online but these are few and far between and not really used in the hobby.
I would put a bubble counter on both if you can and try and set them up both evenly although just having one will still give you even distribution if they are going into one spray bar.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

If using two filters you need to double up things as in the picture below. If you try using one needle valve, one bubble counter and two diffusers you will find the CO2 will take the path of least resistance and only one diffuser will work.

upload_2017-7-21_9-38-17.png

As Ian said above you will need two needle valves after the regulator, I run two tanks of the one co2 bottle and regulator and use a co2 splitter attached just after the stock needle valve, you can see the setup in the photo below.

IMG_5659.jpg

I did it with twin Inline atomisers, solenoids, needle valves and spray bars, One canister Fluval FX6 and one independent line eheim 3000+one set to a high BBS and the other a low BBS, Used pH controller and PLC to to control which comes on and when, both atomisers are prefilter /pump, Indepndant line Boosts the pH high BBS and Canister line has trickle feed, so when not boosting [CO2] tank is clear of any bubbles. Mine is a 500L tank.

But only one regulator OFC

Excellent. Thank you for the answers, photo and illustration. Much clearer now.

Back