• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

turnover rate and circulation

Rabb.D

helo,

i'm starting to get confused about turnover rates and circulation... i'm wondering what is the importance of having a 10x turnover rate... is it to eliminate dead spots, or just for filtration?

can't i just have a powerhead in the tank to eliminate dead spots?

10 x is just a guild line for you but, this formula it what it normally requires to avoid any dead spots.
If you go for a jet type flow or a diffused flow from a spraybar will make a difference & every tank is different depending on its layout.

Getting the flow right is very important so it is good to understand how to avoid those dreaded dead spots.

You could use a circular flow pattern to mimic water going down a drain! This works well for an island design but not so well if you have tall background plants.

A spraybar shoots the flow across the suface & down the front glass to get a circular movement, this works well in most set ups but, you have a visible additional piece of equipment & I also find you might need more flow than 10 x.

If you are just starting out then a spraybar & an external in line atomiser is pretty fail safe but, probably the least attractive as the atomiser produces a fine mist & the spray bar is visible - however the mist shows exactly where the flow is going....

helo,

now i have another question, if i use the inline diffuser do i place it after or before the filter, does having co2 bubbles in the filter cause any problems?

You place the device after your filter - or at least that is how they are designed to operate.
If you place it in front of the filter you risk the gas being trapped inside the canister with no way to escape.
If you want an external device that does not produce micro bubbles then study "External reactors"
UP atomisers are very efficient & cheap to buy, the only price you pay is the mist effect within your tank durring the gas on period.

Back