• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tulgey Wood - Trimmed

Have to agree with the others. Doesn't need a trim because it looks fantastic. You should trim it in a month to look like it does now :)

Love those Barbs too.

Finally got round to trimming. I took on all your kind advice and tried the selective thinning method but it wasn't working for me, I guess its a little beyond my skill set. So rather than fall back on the annihilation method of trimming, I compromised with something in between. It's actually much nearer to what I originally had in mind. I think I'll keep the bare bones of it but just let it grow in a little so it looks more natural.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8580/16165909431_a70d7d9700_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7579/16165910641_f07d4876da_b.jpg

Hi ADA thanks, I wasn't sure what I had left TBH (it has a complicated history) but after trimming - mainly Rotala 'Green' and Ludwigia sp. with some Rotata rotundifolia, and Micranthemum umbrosum.

I think the way your hardscape has blended with the plants that are on and around it means that you can pretty much get away with anything in the background or foreground.

That 'midground' section has meant that you have a fair amount of freedom :)

Looks great, Troi. Really vibrant growth. What is the narrow-bladed plant to the left of the centre, diagonally down from the HP on the second of the two pics above? The mid-height plant with ever so slightly darker green leaves. Thanks.

Hi Troi,

Love the pic in #146 - would make a good wallpaper.

With your ottos have you tried frozen peas and sweetcorn? whenever I cook them I squeeze a few of each out of their skins into the tank. lateristriga and pentazona barbs love them as do USD catfish and large plecos. The only prob you might have is finding a clear space on the substrate to drop them. :)
phil

(edited to change # number as I can't read...)

Thanks Ben, the plant is Cryptocoryne willisi. Its growth habit differs according to environmental conditions. In my low-energy for instance it looks more like you'd expect with smaller leaves

And thanks too Phil, that's nice of you to say so. I never really think of my images being that good TBH.
OK I may have been a little too hasty when I said I'd tried feeding my otos everything...just wonder what else they get fed that I've no idea about...

Back