• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TSD readings?

Gary Nelson

This maybe a silly question, but what should be the ideal TDS readings in a planted tank? If there is such a thing as a general good reading?

My G6 indicates 906! My weekly water change is due tomorrow and I expect going from last weeks water change it will drop to around 730 ish.

I'm a bit confused here, can anyone advise or shed some light :rolleyes:

Your G6 is telling you the Electric Conductivity not the TDS gary, while i believe they are closely related (and may even have a conversion??) they read differently. My G6 used to show 650 after WC and 750-800 by the end of the week which in TDS terms was 200-250 beginning of week and 350 ish by the end of the week if i believe the G6 and TDS pen and remember correctly (g6 is gone now)

Cue an expert with the science....

Yeah as said above g6 measures conductivity and TDS is a measurement of the total dissolved solids. My g6 used to read 500+ by the end of the week but TDS measured by my TDS pen was less than 250 ppm. I tended to ignore my g6 as a reading more use it to see if it changed unusually. Depending on why you need to know I'd opt for a TDS pen.
Cheerio
Ady

Gary Nelson said:
This maybe a silly question, but what should be the ideal TDS readings in a planted tank? If there is such a thing as a general good reading?

My G6 indicates 906! My weekly water change is due tomorrow and I expect going from last weeks water change it will drop to around 730 ish.

I'm a bit confused here, can anyone advise or shed some light :rolleyes:
I've never seen any correlation between TDS and plant health. There is a small number of species that do best in low alkalinity, such as R. macandra and Tonina, but TDS/Conductivity are measurements best ignored from a plant health perspective. Concentrate more on CO2/flow distribution and nutrition. Conductivity readings are mostly irrelevant.

Cheers,

Back