• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

trying to eradicate a dead spot

plantnoob

tank is fluval roma 125 , filter is eheim 2213 extra turnover from newave 1.6 1400lph circulation pump . intake on the right , outlet on the left . 1st i tried spraybar on back wall which only reached maybe halfway along , and the pump the other end faced to the front . this way i had loads of co2 1 end , not much the other . ( co2 fed through spraybar using inline atomiser) . tried a bit of dit and extended the spraybar full length , but the flow weakened signifigantly . now im trying spraybar on left end flowing the length of the tank faced slightly down with the curculation pump the same end also blowing the length of the tank . drop checkers are at either end . an issue i can see here though is possible deadspot under the spraybar/pump . only been injecting like this for around 20 mins , so once its had some time to get a good reading i will know more . if this doesnt work im really open to suggestions / ideas .

need to get this bit nailed down before i plant :)

took a few minutes for my brain to process that , too many night shifts :) so if the standard bar has say 12 3mm holes ( cant be bothered to count them just now ) , buy some plastic pipe the appropriate diameter 12 3mm holes equally spaced along the length of that , and run it along the back wall holes facing towards the front . brings 3 questions to mind .

1) how much this will reduce flow of the filter
2) the circulation pump . help or hinderence , and best place for it with this configuration ?
3) would it be better to just do away with the circulation pump , sell the 2213 and upgrade to either a 2215 or a 2217 ?

reading etc seems easy enough , the headaches it seems start with the attempted execution of said ideas :)

just for info , with current configuration , ive been injecting co2 for a little over 2 hours . both drop checkers are only somewhere in between blue and green ( not quite 1 or the other ) . leads me to suspect 1 of 3 things . either insuffiecnt distribution , too low a injection rate ( unlikely at almost 2bps) or maybe a leaky co2 joint somewhere . il make up another soapy water sollution and repeat the leak check . or of course i could just be being too impatient :)

The custom spray bar won't reduce flow providing the area of the outlet holes you drill are equal to or greater than the area of the filter piping.

I make a custom one last week. Works an absolute treat. Very effective distribution

at the moment im leaning towards going for a more powerful filter whilst ive got the chance . as much as i like eheims , i dont feel this 2213 is going to be man enough once fully planted to get enough flow down at substrate level for the hc carpet . so im leaning towards getting something alongh the lines of a tetratec ex 1200 or ehiem 2217 , making a full length spraybar and selling the eheim on , even though its only a month or so old . hindsight is a wonderful thing eh :)

Sorry I've deleted this post as some how I placed the post in the wrong thread!

i think i have found the problem . all the mist seemed to be hanging around at the surface and therefore going to waste. I have left the spraybar where it was but moved it lower and aimed it down more , and put the circulation pump on the back wall in the middle aimed slightly towards the end of the tank . the mist is now covering most of the tank , but not quite all of it .

Back