• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Tropical water plant stream in Austria..!

Stan510

I don't know if you've seen this Austrian stream fed hot waters by a coal plant. Total length is about 300 meters. As I gather its been here since the 1940's and dumped aquarium fish have gotten established and tropical water plants. Crypts,Guppygrass,Vallisneria,some Elodea. Fish are mostly Platys,Guppies,Convict Fish and Jewel cichlids. Somebody actually put those tiny red and blue shrimp in there and they were thriving until somebody a year later must have collected all he could. Water temps is 27C down to 24C in winter. There are a few different videos from different authors to see more here and or more there...

Stan510

Ancistrus have also naturalized. Its unique also in that nothing native is pushed out. That's because the very stream itself is not naturally warmed..its artificial. I see no chance any of the creatures escaping in the rest of Austria. So,totally unique almost dreamworld ecosystem.

You would wonder how waste water from a coal plant would be good for anything but here you have it.
its not an isolated situation as such, fish farms and greenhouses have been built to use the waste heat all over the place. in the states nuclear cooling waters have assisted in saving manatees and reptiles during periods of extreme cold weather as well as providing good unvisited places for reptiles to nest.

there’s all sorts of species living in places the naturally should not occur, due to waste heat being dumped into an area significantly higher than background

natural waste heat from deep pit mines is now being used as a way of doing geothermal and saving having to dig a fresh set of boreholes

Angus

Wow very cool, that water is harder than mine!
its not an isolated situation as such, fish farms and greenhouses have been built to use the waste heat all over the place. in the states nuclear cooling waters have assisted in saving manatees and reptiles during periods of extreme cold weather as well as providing good unvisited places for reptiles to nest.

there’s all sorts of species living in places the naturally should not occur, due to waste heat being dumped into an area significantly higher than background

natural waste heat from deep pit mines is now being used as a way of doing geothermal and saving having to dig a fresh set of boreholes
Reminded me of this.

PARAGUAY

Many Textile factory lodges beside the usual carp ,tench ,tropical had tropical fish populations in them in the uk

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
I don't know if you've seen this Austrian stream fed hot waters by a coal plant. Total length is about 300 meters. As I gather its been here since the 1940's and dumped aquarium fish have gotten established and tropical water plants. Crypts,Guppygrass,Vallisneria,some Elodea. Fish are mostly Platys,Guppies,Convict Fish and Jewel cichlids. Somebody actually put those tiny red and blue shrimp in there and they were thriving until somebody a year later must have collected all he could. Water temps is 27C down to 24C in winter. There are a few different videos from different authors to see more here and or more there...
Love this. We've had similar posts in the past. But so far they've eluded me. If I find them I'll post them here as well.

mort

Love this. We've had similar posts in the past. But so far they've eluded me. If I find them I'll post them here as well.

Is this the one Tim, I was thinking of it before I saw your post

Edit, see Darrel got there first

Stan510

Anybody know what plant that is at 4:32? C. lutea or maybe because its orange,Lagenandra? The Crypt would thrive in that hard water.but the Lagenandra looks more like it. How about a rare plant like that growing so well? AMAZING.
Or the grass short plant growing between rocks just before that?

Last edited:

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi all,

There are a few of <"these in Europe">

This one also gets a mention in <"Remember the Hotties">.

cheers Darrel
Is this the one Tim, I was thinking of it before I saw your post

Edit, see Darrel got there first
Yes that's exactly the one I meant. Thanks both for posting the link.

Stan510

YOU TUBE also has videos of the Tuscany pond. It has plenty of fish- much more crowded,but the water quality looks lower and with much less variety of aquatic plants as the Austrian stream.