• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The CHI(LL)

So, today I made a bit of cleanup and water change and everything is a bit nicer. I didn't even bother removing the big white pebbles, as the cleanup guys are doing their jobs and they are almost clean after just one and a half days. Note that I didn't even touch the stones.

IMG_20161002_112045.jpg
IMG_20161002_112111.jpg

What's the PAR at the foreground substrate with both lights on?
I measured it today just to give you a better answer about this. It's around 30 par as I remembered. I get values from 26-34PAR depending on how the sensor is angled.

Yesterday I forgot to say that the guy I got the shrimps from also sent a couple of Cabomba stems with them, which I used to replace a bit of Japanese cress that got uprooted (my bad planting skills)

Also, the Ludwigia palustris I replanted is now doing great.

IMG_20161002_114449 1.jpg

Very nice. Not feeling the moss ball from an aesthetic POV. Time to get a small glass bowl to keep it in.... :p

Your par levels are very good for low tech.

Very nice. Not feeling the moss ball from an aesthetic POV. Time to get a small glass bowl to keep it in.... :p

Your par levels are very good for low tech.

The moss balls were used to fill in holes when plants started melting... :lol: They started moving around when the water flow was raised by the new filter so I removed 1 of them... I'll probably move the one you are complaining about as well... when I get the new tank! :p

I'm not sure, the Nerites are a bit more nocturnal so I don't really see them that much while they are active and, whenever I see them, they tend to keep on the glass.

I really think the Red Cherries are the ones to blame here, as I usually see them munching on top of the pebbles! :)

Day 41 - Ranting

Plants are thriving :happy:, there were a few older leaves with holes on the Ludwigia Palustris, which made me pay more attention to ferts and CO2 levels. See this thread http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/ei-regime-k-and-mg-deficiencies.42985/
It made me realize I really need to tweak my ferts in order to reduce nitrate levels and that the problem in the Ludwigia is probably from low CO2 or from the poor water flow I had before adding the external filter. I raised the CO2 a bit just in case (since flow is definitely not an issue anymore :lol:)

I'm still doing between 6-7hours of lighting period... I should probably increase it slightly
My water params don't change much (from what the tests can tell me):
  • Temp - 25.5º
  • PH - 7.2 (CO2 on) - 8 (CO2 off)
  • GH - 21
  • KH - 13
  • NO2 - 0
  • NO3 - 80
  • NO4 - 0

This is day 5 after the cleanup crew was introduced to the environment and I can now really see how well the plants are doing :wideyed:, specially now that the eleocharis is no longer hidden in a cloud of hair algae and the few stems of Lindernia Rotundifolia (which gave me so much trouble before) that survived are now starting to become what I expected from it from my very first attempt of a planted aquarium.

As for my tenants (I like to think I'm a landlord now :lol:)... I had 3 deaths so far:
  • 1 of the 3 Nerite Snails was DOA.
  • 1 RCS found dead on day 1.
  • 1 RCS found dead on day 3.
This means I have 2 Nerites and I should have 8 RCS...

Yesterday, my Seneye was recording a slight ammonia raise sooner than normal after lights off, so I turned the CO2 and lights for a couple of hours to keep it from raising too much during the night. It's probably due to the added bioload added with the critters, but it also made me remove the statue decoration to see if I could find dead RCS... I wasn't able to find any dead critters and was able to see 5 of them at the same time (yay!).
I reduced the gaps of the filter intake with small rubber bands before adding the RCS, so I hope they don't get caught in it, but today I'll open the external filter anyway just to be sure there's nothing living in there.

In the meantime, I'm slowly buying what I need for a 2nd (slightly bigger) tank, because I'm hoping to get my hands on a Biotopia tank by the end of this month when they get more to sell.

To finalize, I have to say... no, I haven't moved the moss ball yet! :lol:

Day 53 - First molt!

Well, not much has changed since the last update.

Yesterday was trim and cleanup day and I found what looked like a "ghost" shrimp laying in the tank. I wanted to take a pic, but wasn't fast enough to be able to keep it in sight... :( I've had no more deaths since the first 2-3 days, meaning I (should) still have 8 RCS and 2 Zebra Nerite Snails. I say I should, just because I have never ever seen more than 7 at a single time, since I placed them in the tank...

I think I've been overfeeding these guys, they probably don't even need to be fed, as they probably get a lot of food from decaying leaves and algae. I've been giving them something small almost once a day, and the last time they almost haven't touched it... so now they're going to starvation mode for a couple of days, so I can see the reaction and start testing on how much food I should be providing.

I now have a couple of cappata leaves in the tank and raised the temperature to 27ºC, to give them optimal breeding conditions, in the hopes I don't need to buy more of these guys for my second tank.

IMG_20161011_201604~2.jpg

Oh yes, second tank arrives today!!! :)

I'm glad you got your algae woes sorted, a FTS would be good, but I've been really bad with photos so no pressure ☺ My (Amano) shrimp prefer to moult it seems following a WC - usually leaving it in an unsightly place! EVERYTIME I get a shock & then remember it's just a moult... Congratulations on the new tank, happy planting...

a FTS would be good
No more FTS until I get rid of that Moss Ball! :lol:
The tank is a bit ugly at the moment, as I made a really big trim, specially on the Java Fern and Japanese Cress, which left the tank a bit "naked"...
This is the last pic I took before the trim (unfortunately the Seneye is ruining it). You can't see much, but you'll get an idea
IMG_20161010_085738.jpg

My (Amano) shrimp prefer to moult it seems following a WC - usually leaving it in an unsightly place! EVERYTIME I get a shock & then remember it's just a moult...
I thought it was a dead leaf when I first saw it... when I tried to remove it, the ghost appeared! :walkingdead:

Congratulations on the new tank, happy planting...
I'll do a journal for the new one soon...

Day 65 - Updates

So, I bring great news for you... THE MOSS BALL WAS REMOVED!!! :lol:

Other than that, not much has been happening lately. I kind of messed up a few times leaving the lights on for longer than I wanted and with the CO2 off, so mother nature is punishing me with an outbreak of Green Spot Algae.

I optimised my Macro solution to provide a lot less Nitrates, since the last time I tested my tap water, it was way above 20ppm. And I also changed the micro solution, because my water is too hard, and I was getting iron deficiency symptoms, so I needed to try an Iron source with a different chelator and apparently it worked.

I also replaced the green EHEIM spray bar for a clear PVC tube, just because I don't like the green tube on the background... some lily pipes are on the way to replace the rest of it.

Since shrimp feeders are way to costly, I went on ebay and got a Petri dish for a pound.

IMG_20161029_122525.jpg
IMG_20161029_122629.jpg

Hi all,
I made a really big trim, specially on the Java Fern and Japanese Cress, which left the tank a bit "naked"..
Java Fern grow new leaves fairly slowly, so it will take a while for it to grow back. I just remove the dead leaves from mine. If the plant has out grown its space, I split the rhizome to give me plants of a more suitable size.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Java Fern grow new leaves fairly slowly, so it will take a while for it to grow back. I just remove the dead leaves from mine. If the plant has out grown its space, I split the rhizome to give me plants of a more suitable size.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, I'm aware they take a while to grow, but I'm quite happy that a lot of new leaves are now growing and looking good. They are actually growing faster than I expected.

The ones I cut, were either too big, ugly, or already giving place to new plantlets. Next time, I'll try to split the rhizomes as you suggested.

Back