• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Tropica soil.

Charbel1011

Im using tropica soil. And my tank is cycling but im worried about the fact that it might release ammonia later on and kill my fish. Any input on this its a planted tank.

Courtneybst

Hi Charbel,

If your tank is currently cycling, the ammonia will help fuel the cycling process. If you've got live plants in there already they will uptake some of it too. Just make sure to do large water changes in the initial stages, but nothing to worry about.

I'd also recommend testing your water for ammonia before adding any fish to be sure. It should read 0.

Charbel1011

Hi Charbel,

If your tank is currently cycling, the ammonia will help fuel the cycling process. If you've got live plants in there already they will uptake some of it too. Just make sure to do large water changes in the initial stages, but nothing to worry about.

I'd also recommend testing your water for ammonia before adding any fish to be sure. It should read 0.
I added turbo start by fritz 700 2 days ago for the bacteria. And this is my result this morning. Should i qdd more ammonia?

Attachments

• received_1318268725263728.jpeg
    received_1318268725263728.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 18

hypnogogia

I added turbo start by fritz 700 2 days ago for the bacteria. And this is my result this morning. Should i qdd more ammonia?
No need. If your substrate is releasing ammonia at the moment and you have plants in there your cycle will start naturally. Your nitrites are already low, you have some ammonia and your nitrates are rising. Don't worry about it.

arcturus

Ypou
Im using tropica soil. And my tank is cycling but im worried about the fact that it might release ammonia later on and kill my fish. Any input on this its a planted tank.
Yes, it will release ammonia and there will be significant ion exchange during the first few weeks until the soil starts to stabilize. This can melt sensitive plants and will affect the livestock.

You can consider a <"dark start"> (do not confuse with "dry start") to minimize the risk of plant melting. If you want to plant right away, then you need to do very frequent water changes (usually 50% daily, then gradually decreasing) until the soil starts to stabilize. But the easiest route is a dark start. The issue is that you have to wait 4-6 weeks before planting. Then plant heavily, including floating plants and fast growing stem plants, wait several weeks until plants are growing steadily, and then add livestock incrementally. There are many threads in this forum discussing this topic. You can <start here> for example and then follow the links and read the similar threads.

You should stop adding ammonia immediately. You don't need it because of the soil and also <it does not work as you expect>.

Charbel1011

Ypou

Yes, it will release ammonia and there will be significant ion exchange during the first few weeks until the soil starts to stabilize. This can melt sensitive plants and will affect the livestock.

You can consider a <"dark start"> (do not confuse with "dry start") to minimize the risk of plant melting. If you want to plant right away, then you need to do very frequent water changes (usually 50% daily, then gradually decreasing) until the soil starts to stabilize. But the easiest route is a dark start. The issue is that you have to wait 4-6 weeks before planting. Then plant heavily, including floating plants and fast growing stem plants, wait several weeks until plants are growing steadily, and then add livestock incrementally. There are many threads in this forum discussing this topic. You can <start here> for example and then follow the links and read the similar threads.

You should stop adding ammonia immediately. You don't need it because of the soil and also <it does not work as you expect>.
Well too late. My tank is planted already and plants are growing insane so j dont know

Jaseon

Is that the only test you have done? I would expect nitrite or nitrate to show a reading?

medlight

You should focus that aquarium on the maintenance of more plant mass, taking into account that it is a new tank and also with a nutritious substrate, it would save the fertilizer in the first month and counting that you expand the plant mass, otherwise you will not be able to stabilize it well and problems will continue, stick to changes of 35% every two days, the first 15 days and from then on every week,,,,, but please EXTEND THE VEGETABLE MASS, so that it can absorb all those nutrients released, after stabilize it you can remove the plants you do not want

Jaseon

Does tropica soil show a high ammonia reading straight off the bat?

I like to see those readings that show me the cycle has started, and is working. I used Dr tims bacteria, and ammonia recently, and it was great seeing the cycle show through the various tests with the ammonia at 3ppm one day then going to zero with the nitrite spiking next then same thing with the nitrate. I would just like to be sure that your cycle has started.