• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica soil powder - gravel vac tips?

Nautilus143

Hi all, I am using Tropica soil powder as my substrate and am really struggling to suck the fish poo/miscellaneous debris out of it with my gravel vac. Does anyone have any tips? My problem is that the substrate enters the tube and clogs it up, which then prevents anything else from getting in (other than water). Wondering if I'm perhaps going at the substrate at a dodgy angle - my tank is 145cm tall and I'm only 160cm, so water changes are a bit tricky!!

Might be better to waft the muck up with a credit card or squirt it with a turkey baster and then siphon it off.
Just do small ish area's, syphon, repeat.

You can create a kink on the hose outside the tank with your other hand and control how fast it sucks that way.
This. Also you can bring whatever container you're siphoning the water into up closer towards the tank so that there's less pressure. I had the same problem with a dennerle nano gravel vac and ada aquasoil powder, a combination of these two approaches solved it. I just pinch the airline with my fingers to decrease/increase suction as needed.

Attach a small long bristled paint brush onto the tube with elastic bands/zip tie....use this to waft above the substrate and in amongst the plant stems!
This is the best method Ive found when removing gunk thats laying on top of Tropica Soil/Powder substrates.

In a planted tank with Tropica soil substrate- is it necessary and beneficial to hoover the fish waste and general detritus off? I understand that you may just prefer your substrate to look clean...

Back