• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica Powder Soil dirt particles

FishKeeper55

Hi

Had to rescape the tank duo to mopani wood leaching so much that was just pointless to carry on with it, I also notice having absolute nightmare with the Tropica Powder Soil because of the floating particles, as this flows in water even having floss in filter they will just sits on everything, plant leaf/wood or anything inside that tank, carpet plant is not established and there is none at this moment so how do you keep the dirt down, would it be advised to cover this with gravel. Plan is to have carpet plant but most are out of stock.

Many Thanks

I guess you mean the soil powder with the grain size of 1-2 mm? It should settle quickly, within a day or two. No need to top up with gravel.

Yes that's the one, I guess once this is covered with plants it should be easy to manage but in mean time it's nightmare, will settle on anything and makes the whole tank just look dirty :banghead:

Check if your filter is kicking up substrate

By itself Tropica Powder etc should not be spontaneously moving about and ending up sitting on plants etc - though if it’s been disturbed, it will obviously just remain wherever it comes to rest
You should be able to remove by gentle controlled syphoning (without actually touching plant leafs, also take care not to uproot plants) or gently waft with one’s hands (George Farmer videos :D) to lift debris while syphoning nearby

I’ve wondered about this and figured it was just me being a newbie as I don’t see other people’s tanks with this issue.

I have tropica soil powder and although I don’t have particles floating about the tank as such I do seem to get a layer of dust on my plant leaves.
I put this down to the frequent big water changes of a new tank and my lack of ability, figured I was just doing something wrong/bad. I even took to gently brushing individual leaves down with a small brush to remove the dust every few days but as the plants are growing and the tank is filling out this isn’t really sustainable!?!

I’m hoping, much like yourself, once my carpet covers some more this is going to be less of an issue.

put this down to the frequent big water changes of a new tank and my lack of ability,
Have you tried the sort of water change where you initially remove ~25%, then set up simultaneous water IN/water OUT (this should limit any substrate disturbance, and completely remove suspended fines)
- you can see this is some of George Farmer’s videos, also Filipe Oliveira video

I have been using Tropica Soil Powder for a while now, on a few different tanks. Yes to begin with the odd partical did float, however it was never a problem after the first 24 hours. One of those tanks was bare soil for months and the water was always clear.

I does settle down is the initial 24 to 48h creates the problem and any disturbance to it after that, filter do not disturb this due to slow water flow, I always put bit of polystyrene in tank when I pour water in and is done slowly, them particles as so fine you can't see them much then you go back to have a look and sits on most things :), is one of them things, don't disturbed to much and is fine, all them nice fancy video don't show you this problem ;), I think once the soil is covered with plants it shouldn't be a much of a problem and as sort of been new to using fancy soil did wonder if I have done anything wrong.

Organic matter including aquarium soils should gain weight as they are mineralised, but you will be waiting a log time. I would go back to Tropica for a refund. Thanks for the heads-up on this. I know a lot of members will be wanting to avoid a potential bad batch. It would be useful to contact the shop and let them know too in case they want to quarantine the product.

Organic matter including aquarium soils should gain weight as they are mineralised, but you will be waiting a log time. I would go back to Tropica for a refund. Thanks for the heads-up on this. I know a lot of members will be wanting to avoid a potential bad batch. It would be useful to contact the shop and let them know too in case they want to quarantine the product.
I'm trying to understand why would you ask for refund? I think it works as it should but is pain in back side for first 24-48h, then if you lift rocks or disturb the soil will kick up lot of dust/dirt what ever you want to call it, the actual granules of soil staying down.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sorry. I thought that your tank was more established and it was more buoyant than normal. I would not recommend telling them if you have just set your tank up and had disturbed the soil. I find that quite normal and in that instance I wouldn't ask anyone.

I’ve not tried Tropica powder but the normal Tropica substrate on first filling does give off a sooty black dust that lightly clouds the water. I polished it out with some filter floss in the filter. Floss came out black the next day. Just waft, shake or lightly brush the plants to dislodge.

Back