• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica Crypts

PAV331

Hi all,

I’ve just set up a low tech tank and I’m pretty happy with how things are going so far. I planted some tiny Tropica 1-2 grow crypts in the foreground but i found them very hard to keep down as they didn’t appear to have any roots at all and I pretty much had to bury them. I’m concerned that after ‘the melt’ they won’t come back without a healthy root system. What do you guys think, is this normal for the 1-2 grow pots?

upload_2020-2-27_12-14-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-27_12-14-34.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-27_12-14-34.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 108
Others with greener fingers than me will probably report greater success, but every single in-vitro crypt I have bought has melted away and never come back.

All the other potted crypts I have planted have melted away, and then come back with a vengeance. I opted to plant mine with a root tab pushed into the bottom of the roots, even though I have a soil substrate (mainly because I always used root tabs with them in sand and gravel 16 years ago). I just think it gives the root stock the best possible chance - as a result my crypts are one of the fastest growing plants in our tank currently, pushing out new leaves what seems like daily. I'm constantly having to trim the larger leaves to stop them shadowing other plants, and to maintain the scale I want.

In this situation, I'd suggest putting them into a propagator with a gravel/peat bottom. Lay the plants on top, preferably upright and make sure the substrate is saturated. You could use cocktail sticks as support to keep the plants upright. I did this with some Cryptocoryne Albida Brown years ago and they really thrived. When the root system is there, plant them in the tank :) Should only take a couple of weeks.

I’ve had no issue with these Tropica 1-2-Grow crypts (even if the leafs melt, new leafs soon appear)
C undulatus red
C wendtii green
C crispatula - I find this crypt (even as a pot plant) more prone to melt (local tap water is very soft, pH 6.5ish), but it also regrows just fine, it can be slower to establish than some

Having said that, I wouldn’t purchase those particular cups - there really should be decent root growth on Cryptocoryne plants (whether pot or tissue culture) - those look as if roots have perhaps browned and melted (you’ll observe cloudy discoloured medium in the cup) or perhaps never developed properly

Aquarium plants should not arrive in a “needs special tending” condition, but should be robust with sufficient stored energy to begin growing in even less than ideal conditions

I’d certainly discuss plant condition with the retail shop and request replacement/refund etc ... even if these crypts do recover, that’s not your responsibility (if plants are free, I’m fine with culturing them)

Back