• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica 1-2 grow or normal pots

Fisher2007

In the next few weeks I hope to have my new 45cm cube up and running and I'm now thinking about planting

The plan is a carpet of monte carlo and or cuba with some stems at the back

I've never done a carpet before or kept monte carlo or cuba so looking for advice on whether to go for the tropica 1-2 grow or normal pots

I've used the tropica 1-2 grow range of plants before and so realise you get more individual plants per pot but my logic tells me that using this range for carpeting plants might make planting tough, although I might be wrong

Any tips or tricks?

Cheers

The plan is a carpet of monte carlo and or cuba with some stems at the back

1-2 Grow pots are already in a semi submersed state so make the job easier. Have also done carpets with potted, leaving a bit of the rock wool with the roots to act as an anchor.

my logic tells me that using this range for carpeting plants might make planting tough, although I might be wrong

If you restrict your cutting to less portions it’s easier to get them planted without risk of it coming out and floating away. Usually I go with 9 portions per pot, twist the base of the portion and plant the plug relatively deep with the pinsettes at 45 degrees. A little wiggle before releasing let’s the aquasoil settle around the plug holding it securely.

As someone who has only used the 1-2 Grow pots of Moss and floating plants before, I recently "planted" a 60cm tank with Hairgrass. I was quite worried having read posts on here about the portions pulling out when you remove the tweezers but I'm really pleased to say that everything went great. I split the individual pots of Hairgrass into about 10 portions but felt I could have got more from each pot.

The Hairgrass has been in the tank a few weeks, fed with liquid carbon and Tropica Premium and is coming on quite well. I've "hoovered" the plants a number of times during water changes and so far they've all stayed firmly in place.

For carpeting plants I find it easier to use the 1-2 Grow pots and quality of plants is usually better.

for HC or Monte Carlo, rinse the ball of plants under a tap or in a bucket. Rip in half, half again and so on until you are happy with the size of the tufts.

each pot will cover about 10cm round (size of palm of your hand). Do as Geoff says and plant deeper than you think. The plant will sort itself out!

stems plants in tissue culture are fun. You think how the hell am I gonna plant this. But you do and are amazed about the rate of growth!

The only plants I’m not keen on in tissue cultures are the Buce and Anubias and bolbitis. The traditional pot gives a better sized plant with more reserves so lesser chance of melt imo.

s.

Back