• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming Rotala Rotundifolia question.

RickB

Hey everyone.

So I am trying to get my Rotala as bushy as possible so am about to give it a trim down, how far down is it safe to trim it?

I was gonna trim it to about an inch above substrate level, would that be ok or too much?

With stems I find it's best to hide the first 3-8cm or so behind hardscape or other plants (depends on the scape). That's the bit that tends to get ratty.
So I usually trim just below where the cut tops emerge from behind the hardscape and replant the offcuts to create a bushier stand.
That way you only ever see the fresh new shoots and not the ratty trimmed bit below.

Either way, R. rotundifolia is a fast growing weed so within reason it's OK to trim back to what you think works best aesthetically. But doing it too frequently may weaken the plant and make it susceptible to algae.

Ive got some hydrocotyle tripartita growing right next to the rotala so I can get that to cover the base of the plant, il cut it right down this once and then see about higher up next trim.

Thanks for the help Tim.

Back