• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming Cyperus Helferi

sanj

hello,

I have masses of C Helferi, but alot of the leaves are covered in algae, like diatoms nothing thread like or fury. I was wondering whether i can trim them and how to? i dont want to cut the leaves and find i have killed the plant. does any one know if there is a particular method to this?

sanj said:
Thanks Saintly, is that how you have trimmed yours?

yes,i've not had a ton of experience with it. but when i see a leaf looking iffy i just cut it other wise it ends up as an algae magnet

I also do as per saintly - follow the leaf down and cut and inch or so from the base. The remains of the cut off leaf will die back, you can then pull the rotten leaf off the crown at the base if you pull it sharply sideways away from the base of plant (upwards may uproot the plant). You can also uproot the plant and remove several leaves oldest first, pealing them off the crown sideways, then replant. Be careful with the growing crown, I snapped one and lost the plant - it didn't regenerate.

Back