• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming Bucephalandra . . .

Wookii

I have a number of Buce plants in various tanks that are growing well, but their main method of growth, rather than horizontal spread and new branching from the lower parts of the rhizome, is an upward vertical growth as new leaves sprout from the centre of the stem.

This is a similar growth pattern to the ‘succulent’ house plants I have. In these plants you can trim the growing tip of the stem, and the plant will then throw out new shoots lower down.

Whilst I appreciate they are unrelated plants, would this method also work for these vertically growing Buce? By trimming the growing tip of the vertical stems, will this encourage more lateral growth from the rhizome?

Folks may be doing this already, and I’ve just not read it, but if anyone can confirm success doing this, before I start hacking away at mine, that would be appreciated 👍🏻

Hi all,
Whilst I appreciate they are unrelated plants, would this method also work for these vertically growing Buce?
I might prune at them like <"an Anubias?">, they are both Aroids.

I'd make sure the pruned free top section has several nodes and can potentially function as a separate plant.

cheers Darrel

I'd make sure the pruned free top section has several nodes and can potentially function as a separate plant.
Although I would also recommend this, I'm not sure if it is even necessary.
Once by accident I chopped the top off of a Bucephalandra Kedagang. Literally the top 2 leaves, so really the sprouting tip. I just stuffed it in a crack between two rocks and now it's grown a few centimetres of rhizome plus leaves perfectly fine.

The original plant did not really grow shoots from lower down but it did sprout two new shoots from where it was cut.

Hi all,

I might prune at them like <"an Anubias?">, they are both Aroids.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, that my issue though, normally I would prune them like an anubias, and simply cut the base rhizome low down to separate individual plantlets or sections of rhizome, but some of them don't grow like that, they seem to just grow vertically, so they are essentially one plant, with no rhizome to separate them from as such. I will try and grab a picture tonight so you can see what I mean. (Edit: Sorry, or did you mean the vertical stem is the rhizome and can be cut?)

Although I would also recommend this, I'm not sure if it is even necessary.
Once by accident I chopped the top off of a Bucephalandra Kedagang. Literally the top 2 leaves, so really the sprouting tip. I just stuffed it in a crack between two rocks and now it's grown a few centimetres of rhizome plus leaves perfectly fine.

The original plant did not really grow shoots from lower down but it did sprout two new shoots from where it was cut.

Thanks @Djoko Sauza, I may try that then, cutting the main stem lower down, try and replant the top, and see if the the cut plant throws out additional shoots from the cut point.

Hi
I am bot buce expert by a long shot (I keep 3 different species (not sure if they are corect names tbh but bought tham as such B. Alamanda V3,B mini Needle leaf and B brownie Purple)but some Buce varieties are more prone to forming pads than others.While the first two will readily form pads with encouragement the later has realy more vertical growth and seem rather apical growth dominated(there are small lower shoots down but they dont do much apart from one or two very strong tips where almost all growth occurs.I believe @dw1305 means the vertical stems are the rhizome and yes you can cut those lower down.I tend to cut mine almost to the bone 2-3 nodes,a leaf or two and some root left and replant the top sections arround to give it that pad look.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

Back