• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming and maintaining Phoenix Moss / Fissidens Fontanus

I had some questions about Phoenix Moss maintenance - mainly, is it a huge pain like with other mosses? Do the trimmings float or spread around your tank creating new moss colonies? How often does it need trimming?
My first experience was a pot of Taiwan moss that brought in the dreaded Cladophora, and I'm still slowly removing it.

I planted my on little lava pebbles, they grow into balls and you can take them out for trimming. Basically any solution that lets you take the moss out for trimming is better in my opinion.

I planted my on little lava pebbles, they grow into balls and you can take them out for trimming. Basically any solution that lets you take the moss out for trimming is better in my opinion.
That's a good idea! Probably wouldn't work in this tight bowl scape I'm doing unfortunately. Only have space on some of the wood.

But yeah, if it doesn't float it's probably best to get some terrestrial moss from the park and only use it on the emersed section.

Pruning is easy with curved scissors. And yes, remnants of pruning will grow everywhere in your tank. :lol:
I prune myself when it is 1cm thick, and I prune it to approximately 1mm inheight. and maybe prune it about once every 3 to 4 months.
Use no CO2 on the Fox.
1.png

Back