• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trigon 190-Learning curve

Burnleygaz

Hey all, complete planted tank newbie here to share the learning experiance!!

First off a little about my fishy past, I`ve been keeping aquriums for about 14 years , getting my first tank (a 60l ) at the age of 14 , progressing on to a keen interest in angel`s of which i`ve had a breeding pair for the last 8 years , unfortunatley they passed away at the end of last year leading to me stripping thier tank and storing it, but now i have more time on my hands again (new baby`s are time intensive lol ).

Anyways onto the tank!

Specs:

Juwel trigon 190l corner tank+ stand.
Built in filter assisted by a 1000 lph powerhead
1.5 wpg t8 lightiing
Dosing will be EI with dry salts
Carbon source will be excel
Eco complete substrate

A proper external filter and pressurised CO2 will be added as soon as funds allow.Apologies in advance for the poor pictures, its another thing i need to learn!

birth-4months876.jpg

Substrate and hard scape added, tank filled

birth-4months221.jpg

First plants added

Re: My first planted tank Trigon 190 corner

Wow - that's some log.... very impressed - it's always hard to scape these corner tanks and get them looking good... watching progress with interest.

nicely done

mx

Yeah its a monster , must weigh at least 25 kg dry, scape wise i`m finding it very hard to come up with a layout that looks right at the moment , but i`ll probably not worry too much about it yet and focus on learning how to grow plants succesfully first.

Well, my plants finally arrived

100_2270.jpg

2 hours of planting later we have

100_2278.jpg

Should hopefully have everything for a FE co2 setup with the next few weeks aswell , and no alage to speak of bar some diatoms yet .

where did you get your plants? They look lovely - and neatly done... be good to see it in a few weeks.

m

Plants were purchased from javaplants , They arrived in fairly good condition but some of the dwarf sag had gone a bit mushy in places, but nothing a good trim didnt sort out so far.

Found time to get rid of that horrible background today and replaced it with a plain black one , no photo yet, but its making the greens look a lot better already. Moved the wood with the java fern on the right hand side a lot further back swapping it with a piece im trying to get some java moss to cover.

My co2 system should be here and setup by the weekend as just got everything ordered. Need to get my flow sorted out now. I`ve made a DIY spray bar i made for the PH as the flow from this just kept uprooting my hairgrass :twisted: Has anyone got any ideas with a basic positioning of the spray bar i could experiment with?, ive tried along one wall pointing across the tank , and the nearest corner to the PH always becomes a dead spot , and ive currently got it along the back pointing towards the front glass, but the back corner is now a massive dead spot.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Everything arrived today for my FE co2, after fitting the regulator to the bottle i had a major leak , regulator has a large crack in it where the gauges are connected. Will have to wait a few days now :(

CO2 is now up and running , i`ve been slowly increasing the bubble rate until the drop checker went green, got a good mist of micro bubbles from my AP diffuser all over the water colum :).Going to leave it like this for a week or 10 days and then adjust upwards very slowly and watch my fish for any changes , tho im quite low light so im not 100% sure of how high i`ll need to go

Plant growth has gone from barely noticable to very noticable from one day to the next , dwarf sags and the hair grass are putting out quite a lot of runners now :)

The diatoms are getting a bit worse tho , i`m wiping them of the plants everyday , but theres a small patch on the substrate between my DHG that i cant seem to get rid of , i`m considering getting a group of otos or some shrimp to help out with this.

External filter added now, old juwel internal is now removed , think i`ll need to rescape soon :p

What happened w/ your reg? Did you have to return it?

Sounds good :thumbup: better get some pics up!

Lisa_Perry75 said:
What happened w/ your reg? Did you have to return it?

Sounds good :thumbup: better get some pics up!

Yeah it got returned and replaced.

Looking good! Good luck! I really have a bit of a thing against these bow fronted aquarium's! But you seem to be managing fine!

100_2410.jpg

Quick updated photo , all the java moss as been trimmed back hard aswell as the DHG and the camboda had to go as i couldn`t get it to grow nice and compact (tho i wasnt keen on the look anyway) got a few more plants on the way to try sometime this week. Diatom`s are no more , but i would like to increase the growth rate a little bit more , might have to look at a way of adding another tube to this tank.

Starting to have a love/hate relationship with it myself oliverar, its a pain to photograph and scape, but it fits perfectly into the space i have avalible, hopefully the wife will let me get the 500l tank i want to fill with altums :p

How odd, it is working now !!! Is it just the photo or is the glass very dirty? It might be worth a quick clean, or maybe some snail's? Is that stick that point's straight forward separate or attached to the main bit?

oliverar said:
How odd, it is working now !!! Is it just the photo or is the glass very dirty? It might be worth a quick clean, or maybe some snail's? Is that stick that point's straight forward separate or attached to the main bit?

Co2 is still on so its shed loads of micro bubbles floating around (coupled with my awesome *COUGH* photography skills and reflections makes for a bad picture :p ), no snails! the stick is separate.

O, ok just wondering, um, if it was up to me I would maybe try turning it so it was facing to the right behind the main piece and to cover it with moss, but this is just an idea, also I think you have started it, but I think it might be worth a little bit of moss or something on the main piece of wood, and possibly some ricca, or moss for a carpet for that space, unless you have planned for it, and got some other plant's for there?

oliverar said:
O, ok just wondering, um, if it was up to me I would maybe try turning it so it was facing to the right behind the main piece and to cover it with moss, but this is just an idea, also I think you have started it, but I think it might be worth a little bit of moss or something on the main piece of wood, and possibly some ricca, or moss for a carpet for that space, unless you have planned for it, and got some other plant's for there?

I`ll give that a try , currently messing with some powerheads to try and get some better flow to the rear corner anyway ,and yeah theres some moss on the main piece of wood , but barely visible as i`ve just hacked it back to try and encourage it to spread out instead of just growing up. The blank space has dwarf hairgrass in it, but again it got trimmed back yesterday :)

Back