• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Tree

Hi, this is my first time trying out a scape with woods. Ive been given a tall tank by a friend of mine quite some time ago and Ive been thinking a tree root would look nice drawing a line from top left down building its roots.

After buying couple of woods I realised my woods aren't thick enough to resemble a huge root. Trying to lego around i stumbled into a piece like a miniature tree with roots wrapping around.

Ive expanded the details by adding more tiny roots to enhance the hardscape.

I'd like to know if there's any need to enhance the details, and what kind of plants that will not outgrow the hardscape. Im trying to go low tech for this.

20180604_165523.jpg

Plant maintenance can be hard in such a deep tank, can you reach everywhere easily?

Not easily, the tank opening is also a limited space with equipments in the way. Im hoping to use plants that wouldn't overgrow.

It would be difficult to perform trimming

Yes maintenance will be difficult in that tank, but I'd go with it anyway.

I like what you've done so far, but you need much more of the same to take advantage of the height.
Use more rocks to get more height and cover the bottom of the tank so there isn't much sand left, and then add your wood.

If necessary use more wood, try one or two single branches so it looks like your existing wood grew from it.
The wood would look good breaching the surface, assuming you're going lidless, and then you could add some emergent growth too.

You can plant epiphytes on the rocks and wood. Starting with the lower light tolerant plants toward the bottom like Anubias and Buces, and finishing with the ones that don't mind a bit more light toward the top - and perhaps don't suffer GSA so much - like Microsorum, and Bolbitis. You can also stick moss here and there as well, Fissidens and/or mini Christmas moss will work well.

I'd plant as heavily as possible from the outset. This will reduce maintenance...the plants should grow slowly, but reduce the likelihood of algae becoming a problem.

Just out of curiosity what are the dimensions of your tank?

Hi Tim

To add more layer, it is hard to deploy the rocks into the tank. It is already a challenge to move the woods into the tank without breaking them. Originally the tree was built as a whole, but it broke while i tried to move it in.

It split nicely in left and right pieces hence now the tree is actually two pieces that look like a whole. When i plant, i plan to take them out and plant left and right and move it back into the tank.

From your suggestion, i can imagine the tree lying on top of a hill made of rocks and thin branches.

The tank is 1ft x 1ft x 2ft

Yes, the idea is to make it look like the roots of a tree reaching down from the surface finding their way into the nooks and crannies of a submerged rock outcrop.

Hi,

Im goin ahead with the current scape in place. Though i did notice that a 30cm x 30cm x 30cm cube would befitting for this tree. Eventually becoming a nano tank. That would be perfect imo.

But due to equipment availability, im going ahead with this tank size. The only thing i could think of to enhance the scape are tiny rocks surrounding the 2 rocks.

Im going to get anubias and buces. I think microsorum would consume up the scape. I want the tree to stand out. Im thinking bolbitis but are there any bolbitis that are smaller species.

Im skeptical on moss because the growth would overtake the scape itself since they dont necessarily grow attached to the wood or rock. Hence i foresee alot of trimming on the moss.

Any particular plants I could stick to the tree tip? Otherwise I think leaving this part unplanted will be nicer.

For fishes, im definitely going to add couple of cories for the bottom. Mid and top wise im not sure if angelfish is a good option. There will be a couple of amano shrimps.

Came across some reasonably priced buceps. Decided to use all of them. But i paid a price when i glued those plants onto the wet woods. Those instant glue turns white when in contact with water.

Attachments

• 20180702_010255.jpg
    20180702_010255.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 258
FerdinandPorsche

Came across some reasonably priced buceps. Decided to use all of them. But i paid a price when i glued those plants onto the wet woods. Those instant glue turns white when in contact with water.

Its not a worry once the plants are established it should all be hidden.

Keith:wave::wave:

Back