• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transplanting Crypts from Low Tech to High

pat1cp

Hi All,

I've some pretty well established Crypts in a low tech set-up that are doing quite well, so much so, they could do with some more space.

I've just started a new set-up which I'm currently dark starting and I intend to inject CO2. Could I transplant them from low tech to high tech in a few weeks time? Any tips appreciated.

Hi Pat
Co2 is not the issue.
Some crypts don't like being planted into raw immature substrate, this sometimes causes melting!
Best if you purchase or transfer some very fast-growing stem plants and plant them in the areas where you want to add the Crypts!
You could do that by leaving them until you want to transfer the Crypts into the same area about 2 to 3 weeks later!
Remove the stems once the Crypts are settled!
They could still melt even doing the above, Crypts can be a tad unpredictable.

Or you could just plant them and hope they don't melt and cause a mess!
hoggie

Hi Pat
Co2 is not the issue.
Some crypts don't like being planted into raw immature substrate, this sometimes causes melt!
Best if you purchase or transfer some very fast growing stem plants and plant them in the areas of where you want to add the Crypts!
You could do that leaving them until you want to transfer the Crypts into the same area about 2 to 3 weeks later!
Remove the stems once the Crypts are settled!

Or you could just plant them and hope they don't melt!
hoggie
Many thanks Hoggie, I will do as you suggest and plant some stem cuttings in the areas where I intend to plant the crypts then transfer them a few weeks after.

Said Crypt. Not sure what type it is, but it's really come on.

presumably I could split it too? @GHNelson
20220126_213217.jpg

Hi
Looks like Cryptocoryne wendtii brown?
If it has separate plants at the base you can split, or wait until it sends out its own runners/plantlets!
hoggie

I usually cut off all leaves and most roots save for the main root and plant that. It grows back pretty fast with new healthy leaves. Even the cases where I moved one and I didnt cut them right away and they didn't melt, the leaves started looking poorly after a while compared to new leaves coming up, so ended up removing them over time anyways.

Back