• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Towing the Line. Discus 120x50x45

GDM

Hi All.

This will be my first 'proper' set up since bitten by the bug. This will be an absolute cliche-tastic setup, ADA catalogue in one hand / UKAPS website in the other. But Ive got to start somewhere....

Dims: 120w x 50d x 45h optiwhite braceless
Volume: 270l
Filtration:
2 x Eheim Classic 2217, with activated charcoal for the first little while - maybe it will stay in...
HMA filter plumbed under sink into thermostatic mixing valve.​
Lighting: Arcadia OTL LED 90cm hung on stainless steel tube stand.
C02: 2 x UP inline diffuser - inflow side
Heating: 1x 300w inline Hydor - outflow side - will this be enough for my Discus??
Substrait: ADA Amazonia, Sand pit for Feeding time
Decor: Redmoor root - three bits combined.
Fauna:
8 x Discus - probably Solid x Snakeskin Stendker's
Cardinal or Super Blue Emperor Tetra
Amano Shrimp
small) Pleco of Mrs GDM's choosing.​
Flora:
Echinodorus Tennelus Green
Eleocharis Parvula
Eleocharis Acicularis
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Cyperus Helferi
Cryptocorynes Petchii AF
Cryptocorynes Wendtii Brown AF
Cryptocorynes Wendtii Green AF
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana
Microsorum pteropus 'trident'
Bolbitis
Hygrophila Polysperma
Tank & Stand arrive this coming Friday, hopefully. Plants are on order so next weekend the fun will begin.....hardscape thoughts below - its minimal as I want to leave lots of free space for the Discus.

18982644016_b4e8224d73_k.jpg

Thanks all - Garry

Last edited:
I think you will find any living thing plants, shrimp etc will all become discus food or discus play toys. Not too sure many have had success with discuss in planted tanks.

My flying foxes and clown loaches (and considerable smaller than discus) had to go as they either ate all the new shoots, ploughed the plants up and cut holes in any big leaves. Once they had left the tank the tank went a manic mess of green....

Looking good, I like the minimum approach, I would be scared though that the Amano shrimp end up as lunch for the Discus.

Big Shrimp + Little mouths = lots of Amanos stay in the (glass) box.....hopefully....

Last edited:
Little photo update.

19640655585_c2967a44d3_h.jpg

Here is a little bit of HC in the front, just to see if I can get it to grow, why not!

Weirdly my Acicularis has died back lots where as my Parvula just got on with growing. Both were in-vitro from the same supplier.

There is Some additional Bolbitis in the wood and some more polysperma since I originally planted but otherwise most of the plants are showing signs of new growth....

Stocking wise I have been to Sussex and chosen some Stendker Discus - 8no. Brilliant Turquoise. Tick tock tick tock, just a few more weeks and I will sling them in

Dear All, little update.

My discus arrived on Tuesday morning, but unfortunately they beaten to it by Appendicitis on Monday evening! I was operated on Wednesday and hope to be out soon. Mrs GDM has been on housekeeping duties but I haven't even met my new residents!

Photos to follow.....

Yes, I have an acrylic lid fitted now!

Hi Steve,

Those little fishes are doing really well thank you. I'm on a third of a block of beefheart a day along with 10% daily water changes. This evening they are all floating around establishing a pecking order, sizing each other up.....who needs TV eh!

Planting is doing......okay......my acicularis carpet is a algae fest which is pretty demoralising. There is a little bit of tennelus green in the carpet which is spreading quite well so come the weekend I think I might well be pulling all of the hairgrass out and replacing, the algae is staying put in the carpet for now but I'd rather not see it spreading......

Pics over on the 'planted & display' section of BIDKA, I've seen you over there I think? The site is so much easier to upload photographs to. It's not that I'm lazy......I'm in recovery!

Oh and I also have 3 dwarf pufferfish coming tomorrow for the 60L. I'm sure they'll help keep the TV off too...

Cheers
Garry

Just make sure the Amano shrimp or any other critters are twice the size of the discus' mouths and feed the discus once a day at least and they should leave them well alone. Having foliage where the shrimps can hide will also help. I've had 2 discus jump before, was pretty gutted about it. Would like to see what your cover looks like so I can make my own!

The Amano shrimp were 'large' size from Sharnbrook Shrimp. Proper bruisers, bodies as big as your little finger and brave too, as soon as your hand is in the tank they fly over to check you out

There are RCS in there too, reproducing like mad, so if the discus fancy a go at them I don't think I'll run out any time soon

The cover is simply a bit of Perspex cut to size: http://plasticonline.co.uk
With 8 little cover hooks, a little cheaper than Mr Amano's (RIP): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-Tank...-Support-Holder-Aquarium-4-12mm-/261841106448

Last edited:
Little update.

Just do what Ceg says......I stand infront of the clematis and blow on it through a spraybar.......

I've finally got it right, Clive's wisdom/patience across the forum (not enough c02 not enough flow/ too much light) has finally made it to this journal. I have got the c02 & light levels/timings bang on to suit the high water change frequency I need with these baby discus.......resulting in........steady growth and no algae! Incredible!

I've learnt the planting can be a bit hit and miss, 30degree water doesn't suit everything, so I've developed a strategy of buying a single plant and leaving it a month to see if it copes. The tennelus green carpet mentioned earlier for is slowly starting to creep which is great.

Little photo update this evening. Fishes doing great too - growing fast!

Thanks All.

Back