• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Totally confused about stocking

Karen H

Hi I have been and a Facebook site and got some very bad comments on my stocking levels but have been told by lfs and othe sites it's ok . Just wondered if anyone can help me work out if I am over stocked so need to remove some fish . Tank set up as follows

Substrate aqua grow nutra soil
64l tank
Fluval U2 filter
Led lighting
Plants that are growing well .
Frogbit
Water wisteria ,
Anubias,
Cabomba caoliniana,
Cryptocoryne wendtill green
Moss ball,
Taxiphyllum sp spiky
Stock
1 betta
15 neon tetras
2 otoclinclus
4 shrimp

Doesn't look too bad to me but I'd say you are overstocked going by the general rules banded about. Sites like Aqua Advisor are some help as they flag up things like parameter differences between your stock (not enough of a speices, male/female ratio, fish that don't get on etc) but are quite optomistic on their stocking level suggestions.

Fish keepers from fish keeping sites (PFK for example) suggest around 2.5cm per adult fish to 4.5l of water, but this doesn't take account of different bioloads etc. Examples like 1 x adult platy will make more mess than 2 x neons even though total length of fish will be the same. Also consider footprint and swimming space, eg small danios look small but like to fly around in longer tanks than they get put in.

LFS will, IMO/IME!, be on the optomistic side as well as of course they like to sell you more fish :)

Agree with above your not over stocked imo id say your near the limit and the only thing I would say is that the betta is unsuitable for 2 reasons first the filter is to powerful betta really dont do well long term in water flow and second keeping betta with tetras is not a good idea as most of the time the betta will be bullied by the tetra,

But certainly nothing to warrant bad comments, it really bugs me when people do that at the end of the day everyone makes mistakes and we learn from them any comments handed out should be helpful there is no point in blasting people it achieves nothing

Thanks I have tried to reduce water output by planting and having set on the bar setting so a lot slower. It's so confusing . You are right it's seems to be the neons stressing the betta . Other people seem to say it's the other way. I will just have see how it goes and but betta on his own if he starts getting stressed by the neons.

On the very occasion you will find a betta with a bad attitude these are the ones that will have a go at anything, betta are similar to oscars in that they all have there own personality they can be more like a dog at times in that they learn who feeds them etc etc

Betta are very misunderstood and not like most other fish, when it comes to there personality theres 3 main betta trates, very placid ( usually get bullied ) temperamental ( usually get on ok in community tank ) pure evil ( think there 20 time bigger than they are and will have a go at anything including heaters etc)

When I was breeding them you soon pick up on there individual trates and what I noticed was that there type ( veil tail, crown tail etc) played a large part in how they acted / behaved but more notable is there colours and attitude for instance blues tend to be more placid and blacks are just evil, although this is more a generalization than solid fact

Mark

Thanks mine is a pinky white with a few red marks half moon. So at the moment it is him who hides and stays out of the neons way. He is only 4 months old .

You are very fully stocked. Do you get the impression your betta is unhappy?

I am not sure if his behavior is normal or not. He tends to hide under the frogbit quite abit. He didn't use to come out when I was feeding but he does now when he sees me there but hangs around out of the way of the neons and waits until the food moves near him. The neons have been in the tank for 4weeks and he's only been ther a week. So just not sure if with him been young and use to been in a lot smaller tank without plants etc. if he just needs more time to settle in

The ingredients are all there...now just bring to a gentle simmer, add seasoning and you've got perfect paella...
...pour us a glass of red me duck...(Def - me duck...East Midlands term of endearment).

Hiding under the frogbit may be because your LED lighting is brighter than he likes, or just brighter than he's used to. If he's only been in the tank a week, I would give him a bit longer to settle in and see how he gets on. Just keep an eye on the Neons in case they nip his fins, usually they are OK, but sometimes they will nip, it depends on the individuals and on the size of the shoal. Your shoal of 15 will probably be fine.

Your stocking levels seem fine, but I wouldn't add any more fish. I wouldn't worry overduely about your Betta...I think he just needs time to settle in and get used to the tank and its inhabitants. It can take several weeks for some fish to feel at home, especially those with more temperamental personalities...

Back