• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Torn between classic Iwagumi and something more complicated.

mangeltrueman

Hey there

So for Xmas I'm getting a nice little Dennerle Scapers Tank, the 35l one (40x32x28cm). It will be high tech, co2 injected etc with an external oase canister filter and heater. The only hardware in the tank is the inlet and lily pipe outflow.

In terms of how to scape it, I'm torn between two approaches and was looking for comment and input from you kind people. My first thought was a classic Iwagumi with dwarf hairgrass and some smaller stem plants. I think that would be pretty straightforward and there is tons of info on how to do it. Always fancied a classic Iwagumi but....

The other thought I had (and really want to give a go) is inspired by a real life location which i love, but would be a lot more complicated and i'm not 100% sure it would work in what effectively is a nano tank. The location is Twistleton Scar in Yorkshire...

1640363267790.png

What i was thinking was to have a dual level scape, using something like Seiryu stone to build up a "limestone pavement" on the right hand half of the tank. Im thinking that the planting level of this would be 1-2 inches higher than the planting height on the left hand side of the tank. I'd could use a number of medium sized pieces of rock with gaps between and fill the gaps with aquasoil and a low growing carpeting plant such as monte carlo or glossostigma to give the effect of the greenery that you sometimes see between the rocks on these limestone pavements.

I was also thinking about building a sweeping tree out of manzanita or redwood branches glued together and covered in weeping moss. I've seen a few youtube vids with people making trees out of this stuff. It would sweep from the higher side of the scape over the lower side (so from right to left, the opposite direction to the tree in the above image).

The lower, left hand side of the tank would be a dwarf hairgrass carpet with a smaller iwagumi style scape with one large keystone and a few other smaller stones in the standard iwagumi style. Maybe some smaller plants such as Alternanthera reineckii mini, S Repens and H Lancea araguaia to break up the hairgrass a bit and provide more interest.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this approach or can see any pitfalls or give me any pointers. My only scape to date is a nature aquarium and this would be a lot more complicated that that, even though its a lot smaller

Thanks all

I think any scape can have its challenges and a good Iwagumi is not always so easy to get perfect either.

It’s all very personal so the only advice I would give is ‘which of these styles will make you smile more when it’s done’. Answer that question and then be brave. Lots of folks here to help you out along the way. 😊

Maybe take a look at this, if you haven't already...

The other thought I had (and really want to give a go) is inspired by a real life location which i love, but would be a lot more complicated and i'm not 100% sure it would work in what effectively is a nano tank. The location is Twistleton Scar in Yorkshire...
Seems perfect inspiration, see no reason why this wouldn't work and if it does... that smile on your face will be seen from outer space. 😃

The problem with iwagumi is more that it's all packaging and little content. It's (very) nice for a day or so but gets boring quite fast, and I always feel that any fish in it must be unhappy because of the lack of proper cover. But as others have said, think about what would make you happier for a longer period. Only you can answer that question :)

In terms of how to scape it, I'm torn between two approaches and was looking for comment and input from you kind people. My first thought was a classic Iwagumi with dwarf hairgrass and some smaller stem plants. I think that would be pretty straightforward and there is tons of info on how to do it. Always fancied a classic Iwagumi but....

Which one do you think will bring you more enjoyment? For me it would be a easy choice, but maybe for you it's not.
monte carlo or glossostigma
How about Coral Moss (Riccardia chamedryfolia)? Could simply glue it on and it would stay both smaller and easier to manage.
Alternanthera reineckii mini
Would also get quite large. Red plants are nice but ask yourself if in this case they would add any value to the scape.

Love your inspiration by the way!

Thanks @Djoko Sauza

I'll look into coral moss, i still have a lot of moss research to do before i decide. As for the A R Mini, yeah, i agree. Plant choice is still something i need to think about, other than the hairgrass/carpet and moss. I might end up not even going with any stem plants depending on how the scape looks.

I think i get a lot of my enjoyment from the building process, so making the tree and the complications and learning around the more difficult scape is likely to make me feel more satisfied. The good thing about it being a small scape is that its easy to break down and sort out if needed.

Back