• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Too much time to think......and stuff lying redundant in aquarium surplus

Sorry for how random this may be.

I've got an Eheim 2322 (500 lph) and a 2324 (700lph) currently sitting redundant. My MTS is eating away at me to get a 140 scraper tank which got me thinking about using them both on that tank.

To reduce the equipment in the tank I wondered about combining both filters output (back into the tank) into one with non return valves on each filter.

Can anyone think of tell me why this might be a bad idea please?

I've got an Eheim 2322 (500 lph) and a 2324 (700lph) currently sitting redundant. My MTS is eating away at me to get a 140 scraper tank which got me thinking about using them both on that tank.

To reduce the equipment in the tank I wondered about combining both filters output (back into the tank) into one with non return valves on each filter.

Provided you get enough flow it’s not a bad idea at all. It’s not overly uncommon, I’ve chained two Oase filters before and it worked perfectly fine.

I’m sure I’ve heard this question before many years ago but can’t remember the outcome.
I would have thought having two output pipes into the tank may help with dead spots though?
What non return valves are you planning on using?

I know what you mean about flow but space is limited so if I go for a triangular composition with the pipes on the high side they can be hidden, I've just about settled on two inflow (to filter) and still hiding hardware.

Re the check valves I found two on eBay and still not looked at AliExpress - out of these I'm swaying towards the aluminium.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240713-193152.png
    Screenshot_20240713-193152.png
    465.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240713-193014.png
    Screenshot_20240713-193014.png
    914.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for posting, those non return valves look interesting. I would just be a little concerned about how it may affect the flow rate. Just something to be aware of. Let us know how you get on with this as I’m sure it will be of interest to others. 😉

I never quite read the initial post right and completely misunderstood. I probably wouldn’t do two outlet pipes. If combining the filters, I’d just have one inlet and one outlet with the two filters connected to each other.

This will allow both filters to be used, it won’t affect flow and won’t require a non return valve.

The tank you’re planning isn’t exactly a large tank, so getting good flow with a canister filter shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I am pretty sure two equivalent filters in parallel will be approaching double the total flow of the same two filters connected in series.

For the OP - where the two filter returns combine it might be advisable to increase the pipe diameter from that point on to minimise potential flow restrictions (depending on length of tubing involved).

Strongly advise against running filters into the same outflow/inflow.

In the event that one filter should fail the flow could into the failed filter dumping all of the contents into the tank 🤦

Using non return flows isn’t a guarantee as far as I know, but please do correct me 😊

Strongly advise against running filters into the same outflow/inflow.

In the event that one filter should fail the flow could into the failed filter dumping all of the contents into the tank 🤦

Using non return flows isn’t a guarantee as far as I know, but please do correct me 😊
Hmmm…… I need to get my head around that.

This topic must have come up in here many times before. I agree with this answer from 2010.
IMG_1254.jpeg

If the OP is expecting to get 700lph + 500lph I don’t think it’s going to happen. I think it more likely to get 700lph or 500lph total, or somewhere between the two? In addition I reckon purging air from the system could be a nightmare.

No harm in trying though, maybe? I’d do it without media and see what happens.

I had a think about this as well, and I can imagine running two pumps in line could cause a few problems, as outlined above. When I added a passive UV in line to an Oase it caused another level of air removal shenanigans.

I think the only way to do this successfully would be to have a powerful pump on one, turn the pump off the other, and let the one pump push water through both. But on the Oase, I can imagine that double the filter resistance and the air issues would make this somewhat challenging. I have two Oase units and have elected for the more ugly but separate approach to using both in the tank.

This topic must have come up in here many times before. I agree with this answer from 2010.
View attachment 221073
If the OP is expecting to get 700lph + 500lph I don’t think it’s going to happen. I think it more likely to get 700lph or 500lph total, or somewhere between the two? In addition I reckon purging air from the system could be a nightmare.

No harm in trying though, maybe? I’d do it without media and see what happens.
Absolutely this. From my experience, flow isn’t increased nor reduced. This would obviously be provided both filters are clean and working correctly.

In series, you'll have double filtration for one dose of water, while in parallel you'll have a single layer of filtration applied to two doses of water.

If running in parallel, no-return valves should be reliable enough for the already unlikely event of having one filter stop working and the other still going. But the pressure drop should be noticeable, so be careful with the specifications of the valve.

Also you need an outflow gear large enough for the increased flow.

Back