• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys "Mojito's Cove" 200L - 4 week update pics

Hi there, this is a really impressive scape and is the basis of something I had in mind (basic shapes and structure but I cant hold my hand up to having anywhere near the vision you have since your plant choices is fantastic). One question if I may though... I see you put the plant substrate in those sections at the back... and then you put your hardscape in place... surely that made planting REALLY hard though ? Was it a case of using your tongs and getting stuff into nooks and crannies with some difficulty, or is there an easier knack you can share ? Im imagining you need to be very accurate with such a complex hardscape "in the way" of planting ? Would welcome any hints and suggestions you have :)

Also, I worry about fish food getting stuck in all the nooks and crannies that such a scape creates. How do you deal with that ?

Thanks and keep up the good work, Im subscribed to this one for sure :)

Yes it looks great, very natural looking and great photos too! I like your plant choice.
Thanks Gary, I'm hoping the plant choice will remain very natural looking once it all matures, with different species intertwining with each other rather than having separate clumps of plants.

Hi there, this is a really impressive scape and is the basis of something I had in mind (basic shapes and structure but I cant hold my hand up to having anywhere near the vision you have since your plant choices is fantastic). One question if I may though... I see you put the plant substrate in those sections at the back... and then you put your hardscape in place... surely that made planting REALLY hard though ? Was it a case of using your tongs and getting stuff into nooks and crannies with some difficulty, or is there an easier knack you can share ? Im imagining you need to be very accurate with such a complex hardscape "in the way" of planting ? Would welcome any hints and suggestions you have :)

Also, I worry about fish food getting stuck in all the nooks and crannies that such a scape creates. How do you deal with that ?
Thanks and keep up the good work, Im subscribed to this one for sure :)

Hi Christian.
The planting was tricky but a set of long fine tweezers really helped. I also topped up the substrate and the gravel capping after the rocks were put in, so theres not as much space under them as you might think. I'm away for a few days, but when I get back I'll post a side view of the tank so you can see how the substrate banks up towards the back.
Regarding fish food, I'll be feeding carefully and slowly to avoid much food getting to the bottom, plus there will be alot of amano shrimp going in here as a clean up crew. That said it is going to need regularly siphoning as there are 'caves' under the rocks which will gather detritus.

Tony

Really nice Tony, hardscape looks great :) looking forward to seeing this one develop, never been a fan of the Ranunculus wanna see how that develops in this scape :) congrats Tony, top scape as always!

Really nice Tony, hardscape looks great :) looking forward to seeing this one develop, never been a fan of the Ranunculus wanna see how that develops in this scape :) congrats Tony, top scape as always!
Thanks Paulo. The ranunculus is going well, though it did suffer more melt than anything else in the tank, as it adjusted to submersed life.

Great scape! And I'm also insanely jealous of the gear p0rn in the other corner... ADA Aquasky and Superjet!
Ha - well spotted flyga ! I'll be starting up a journal on that one very soon ;)

Tony

Very accomplished...rock placement, wood placement, plant placement and choice, and interesting title Mojito's Cove...but not a patch on your mancave...manland...mantuary...manspace,...
Tropica_100cm-3625.jpg

Surely you can't be married or nuffink...there is no way I'd get away with this...

Unfortunately the spin involves spending many hours a week in here too :lol:

Right, an update ...

At 38 days things are going well. I had some signs of detritus on the manzanita and rocks, so introduces a cleaning crew ( 50 x amanos, 50 x otos ) which nailed it in a day ! The ranunculus suffered the most melt, but its adapting well now. The pinnatifida is going great guns, as is the moss.

The first pic shows it pre-trim, and the second pic is after its first major trim. Other pics are just over indulgence, but thought you might like them !

Tony

MojitosCove_20130911D8E_4031.jpg

MojitosCove_20130911D8E_4047.jpg

MojitosCove_20130911D8E_4063.jpg

MojitosCove_20130911D8E_4068.jpg

MojitosCove_20130911D8E_4073.jpg

MojitosCove_20130911D8E_4084.jpg

50 otos is a bit of an overkill don't you think? Looks like you're breeding frogs now :D

thats enough for the Stockport P@H tank!! :wideyed:
Surely your not planning on growing that much algae to feed them all? :lol:

Looking great Tony, fancying trying a bit of ranunculus myself. Blue tetras are a nice subtle fish choice too.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Great tank - very clean. It looks like an instant winner, as if you've managed to create an amazing tank effortlessly...

I'm even more impressed with the man cave though - I'm totally jealous!!

I also see you have an Aquasky on your other tank in the cave - where did you manage to get that from? I'm having trouble finding a reasonably price and attractive light and that looks like it may fit the bill, but I can't seem to find someone to ship me one to the UK!

Back