• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Poco Pozo

So yesterday I thought I'd decided on what to use as a main shoal/dither fish (P. simulans) only to pop along to my LFS and once again find they only had 5 left. So they're on trial now (I may still switch to a second pencilfish species).

Spot the 'shoal' ;)

631b11.jpg

Hi all,
Ludwigia sedioides looks to be growing well.

I'll be interested to see what happens with your Fatsia japonica leaf (front left). There is a bush at the university (just outside the lab. in fact) and the dead leaves stay intact for years, but I've always been a bit worried about whether they are toxic, supposedly it is pet safe, but some Araliaceae (Hedera) are poisonous.

cheers Darrel

How does a new setup feel after all this time?

Really enjoying setting this up - it's been a massively protracted process to actually get my hands on the tank since originally being offered it last year (due to my own uncertainties about movements followed by two house moves), so I've had it on the mind for a while!

Hi all,
Ludwigia sedioides looks to be growing well.

I'll be interested to see what happens with your Fatsia japonica leaf (front left). There is a bush at the university (just outside the lab. in fact) and the dead leaves stay intact for years, but I've always been a bit worried about whether they are toxic, supposedly it is pet safe, but some Araliaceae (Hedera) are poisonous.

cheers Darrel

Yeah so far so good on the sediodes... shooting up a couple of cm a day and no noticeable melt. I'll let the stems re-establish their floating whorls then think about trimming some and offering them on here.

I had a quick look online and found the Fatsia listed as safe for terrariums and other pets so took a punt on it. I'll let you know how it lasts. Was hoping to use some Cordyline leaves as well but apparently they contain saponins which are pretty water soluble and fish toxic so wimped out on that one.

Small update for some new livestock.

Added 4 Farlowella. I think there are 3 vittata and one 'other'. Possibly platorynchus but struggling to get an ID because mostly they spend all day in the wood pile and only really come out at night. Nice when you do spot one though :)

uPUwSW.jpg

In other news, the L. sediodes is not looking too hot. It got really straggly growing for the surface and then struggled to form pads in areas with any flow at all. However a few of the stems in low flow areas now look to be recovering, so fingers crossed. I think it would have been better just to let the pads float rather than planting the stems.

Back