• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
That woud be awesome, only came across this journal yesterday, and I've been trying to figure out where I could fit a tank like that in my own home ever since! It is/ was just simply amazing, and would love to see (all of) the pics!

Better later than never :) I got inspired by Tom's tank a couple of years ago and this approach yields amazing results, even on a smaller scale as Alice says above :) Though the aquascaping abilities can't be duplicated unfortunately :crazy:

It can be achieved on a smaller scale mate :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know, was thinking of something like 50x50x25, I'm simply running out of space in my appartment, too many tanks, fish and plants I want and need. ;)

You have both inspired me and opened new doors for me in more ways than one with this tank tom, I just wanted to say thanks. Really looking forwards to your 'crater of mud' ;) I wish you the best of luck mate.

Epic tank and journal, will look forward to the sequel :clap:

Wow Tom that must have been a mission! Much appreciated though as I was reading through it again the other day and i really missed the images matching the dialogue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the feeling :( same things happened to my puddle.
Unlike Tom I didn't have the patience

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Last as always to catch up with things,....really looking forward to the next project Tom,...hope your house move progresses smoothly. Absolutely agree with Alastair that we should be the ones thanking you for giving us the inspiration to go the low tech way. It's been a real journey with your tank:)

Wow Tom that must have been a mission! Much appreciated though as I was reading through it again the other day and i really missed the images matching the dialogue.

Actually all it took was badgering imageshack customer service until they fixed the links at their end. The earlier shots aren't linked to an account so I'll have to fix them manually, which will take a while.

Last as always to catch up with things,....really looking forward to the next project Tom,...hope your house move progresses smoothly. Absolutely agree with Alastair that we should be the ones thanking you for giving us the inspiration to go the low tech way. It's been a real journey with your tank:)

Thanks Faizal. I basically had no idea what I was doing when I started this journal, probably 80-90% of everything I've learned since has come from UKAPS.

Ali, I'm a man :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hehe... I am not the only one who got that wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1402239176][/DOUBLEPOST]So my big rainbowfish tank is wider than it is tall so 244cm x 93cm x 70cm high. I did wonder in the past, but is this a good dimension for the BigTom/Lil'Al approach?

Hehe... I am not the only one who got that wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1402239176][/DOUBLEPOST]So my big rainbowfish tank is wider than it is tall so 244cm x 93cm x 70cm high. I did wonder in the past, but is this a good dimension for the BigTom/Lil'Al approach?

You thinking of dropping it to low tech then sanj??

I am not sure, the thing is my co2 supply is dirt cheap, I am charged £10 refill for the all the cannisters I own including the 2x5kg ones. I just have to drive to Brum to get it. The other thing though is my tank stocking is on the high side, so I dont know how that works with this approach.

Should be doable I think Sanj... I didn't really have any emergent plants - just submerged and riparians so the water depth doesn't matter from that point of view, assuming you have hardscape or caddies at the surface for planting riparians in. High stocking should be fine as long as you keep appropriate filtration going, flow is still a good thing in my experience.

Your overall surface area: volume ratio is about half what this tank had, but then that probably isn't massively important, especially if you have more surface movement.

Last edited:
I am not sure, the thing is my co2 supply is dirt cheap, I am charged £10 refill for the all the cannisters I own including the 2x5kg ones. I just have to drive to Brum to get it. The other thing though is my tank stocking is on the high side, so I dont know how that works with this approach.

Well the co2 is just like a drug addiction, you'd need to taper it down over a period of a couple of months, 3 or 4 ish whilst knocking the lighting levels down too. You may get some die back on some of the plants initially but they'll grow new leaves adapted to the lower energy. Plus with the amount of fish you have in their I don't think you'd need to dose much in the way of npk. Maybe just 1/10th ei traces split into a weekly dose.

Or just stick to co2 lol. To be honest I think I'll be dropping back to low tech over the next month or two. Not enjoying going back to injecting

Thanks guys.

Most of the images from about page 8 onwards should be fixed now hopefully, some of the early ones are still missing but I'll have to sort them out another time.

Hey Tom,

I know you have another project on the go and are probably very busy but any update on getting the earlier photos up? I find that this thread is referenced a fair bit on here and PFK and it would be nice to have it complete. :)

Hey Tom,

I know you have another project on the go and are probably very busy but any update on getting the earlier photos up? I find that this thread is referenced a fair bit on here and PFK and it would be nice to have it complete. :)

Thanks for the reminder Andy. In the middle of a house move right now so lots of diy and not much Internet for the next couple of weeks but I'll try and get it fixed when I can.

Back