• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi all,
Maidenhair fern is very sensitive to it's soil drying out (it will die if it's soil dries out for even a single day)
They lose all their fronds if they dry out, and look horrible but they don't actually die. They are quite resilient and if you cut off all the crisped dead fronds and keep the plant watered, new fronds will appear.

cheers Darrel

They are really nice plants, and easy to grow as long as they don't dry out. They do get to a reasonable size... fronds are about 12" long but quite droopy so they don't spread that far.

Hi all,
They lose all their fronds if they dry out, and look horrible but they don't actually die. They are quite resilient and if you cut off all the crisped dead fronds and keep the plant watered, new fronds will appear.

cheers Darrel
When you say dry out, I'm presuming you mean the roots need to be wet/moist rather than misting the leaves/fronds?

Absolutely stunning! And thanks again for all the help and advice look forward to picking your brains alot more :)

Things are all growing in quite nicely -

(click the HD button!)

My big male Sawbwa are starting to look a bit old and senile now though, think they must be coming to end of their lifespan. Will try and get another batch of fry before they all kick the bucket, but I've got 6 juvies waiting to replace them.

Rosy loach juvenile at 53 days old; big enough to go in to the Bucket soon I think -

gnlv.jpg

Cheers chaps.

Nice and clean looking Tom loverly loach too.

Thanks foxfish. The loaches are really fantastic fish, I guess they're not more popular simply because they're still quite uncommon. Given how easy they seem to be to breed I'd expect farms to start churning them out some time soon.

awesome vid mate. i watched it on my phone earlier but HD on 42" is MUCH better

Yeah I've recently hacked the firmware on my GH2 to allow much higher data rates than the default, which on initial impressions seems to make quite a big difference. That vid was only encoded at 720p though as I was in a bit of a rush.

Nice crypts, Tom. I love the look of mature crypts in a scape....my fave!

Yeah they're grand. So good for adding a bit of contrast to the sea of green.

Just stunning as always.

Thanks Justis.

Just had an enjoyable couple of hours finding out what was in the fry tank; total tally was 10 rosy loach, 6 Sawbwa and 5 Danio erythromicron. Added 6 loaches and 5 Sawbwa to the Bucket, the rest need some growing on before they'd be safe from the peacock gudgeons I think.

I have been watching the latest vid on a loop. is simply breath taking, the sense of scale you have created within this scape. Truly Inspiring to others.

Congrats on a very very nice tank, makes me jealous, and that doesn't happen often.

Thanks Ed, just had a look at your tank - what a monster. Very nice emersed/floating growth as well.

Just stunning, what fish do you have in the tank mate?

Cheers Liam. In there are...Petruichthys sp 'Rosy', Sawbwa resplendens, Danio erythromicron, Tateurndina ocellicauda, Brachygobius doriae and a few Otocinclus.

Back