• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's "Aquatics Live" Dennerle

Tom

Here's what it's become! Dark side.

I've recently moved my bits over from the P@H cube into here, and added a couple of clowns :) It's going through a slight diatom bloom since the move, but if it's anything like the last one it will be gone within the week. Corals are still loose, so I will re-position them when I work out what I want to do. I'd also like some more height, so may probably get another rock or to to slot in the back. Will have to be cured in the old nano, although the quality of rock from the lfs is so good I've not seen a real cycle in 2 setups so far :) Made sure it was safe before adding the clowns, don't worry ;)

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5226.jpg

Tom

Thanks :) I'm hopefully switching the heater to something a little more stealthy, and the powerheads to a pair of Koralis Nanos after Christmas, so it should look a little neater. Lighting too, I'm hoping to go with a PAR38 LED from marinereefleds, so just one unit and one plug. Then I'll think about making the layout look pretty as it's a bit all over the place at the moment.

love it Tom!

Nice bit of scaping as well. Looks really clean and crisp. This is what puts me off about marine...most of the tanks i see get really cruddy really quickly.

Very nice mate.

I've always fancied going biotope. Just one or two species of coral and tiny critters/fish, all from the same location.

Too many collectoritis reefers out there IMO. Like kids in a sweet shop that can't say no!

I've been there done that with a FW community, so now it's my collectoritis turn with marine ;) Learn so much better when you actually try things. Going with the Cliche Clowns too! It's nice cause it's almost a different hobby. Adds some variety when my planted enthusiasm has it's blips.

We had a reef at college completely dominated by Pulsing Xenia. Looked great to me, with a pair of Clowns and an Algae Blenny. Wish I'd been interested in marines then!

Tom said:
I've been there done that with a FW community, so now it's my collectoritis turn with marine ;) Learn so much better when you actually try things. Going with the Cliche Clowns too! It's nice cause it's almost a different hobby. Adds some variety when my planted enthusiasm has it's blips.

We had a reef at college completely dominated by Pulsing Xenia. Looked great to me, with a pair of Clowns and an Algae Blenny. Wish I'd been interested in marines then!
Fair enough mate. I assumed you already had plenty of marine experience. Sorry.

Nah, well I had the Interpet RiverReef I got from PFK for a little while, but I never really liked it and didn't have the money to do it properly at the time.

Marine is no harder FW, it's just re-learning what goes with what, and who eats who. It's a bit like getting a new version of Pokemon... the format is basically the same, but all the creatures are different!

George Farmer said:
Very nice mate.

I've always fancied going biotope. Just one or two species of coral and tiny critters/fish, all from the same location.

Too many collectoritis reefers out there IMO. Like kids in a sweet shop that can't say no!

I never realised you could create Reef biotopes until the recent series in PFK!

Nice one Tom. I'd like to have a little Marine at home. Funky style :)
Planted just take all resources atm. One day I will do it for Sure.
Hei my aquatics live denerrle is a little Malawi reef :shifty:

Thanks, yeah I know what you mean about tanks sucking resources!! I still have my 60P sitting empty, several months on. Just like my Mini M was.

Marine sucks so much more money than planted though, on every level!! I'm hoping to get a few more corals after Christmas though.

flygja said:
Very pretty! Only live rock and sand bed for filtration?

At the time, yes. I now have an Eheim Liberty HOB and a Koralia. The HOB just has floss and RowaPhos in.

Radik said:
Nice I want one small Reef too :)

You should :) They can potentially be done quite cheapy.

Bit of an update here, didn't realise I hadn't put any pics up. Several more corals in now, along with a Coral Goby and an Angel. I want to move the softie that's currently back-right as it looks odd, but not really sure where to. I may swap it with the Pussey Coral. Actually, yeah that's a plan! Hadn't thought of that till now...

6782036481_107cd0bc2f_z.jpg
IMG_5418 by tommessenger:photo, on Flickr

CandyCanes
6742933003_c88ee0207c_z.jpg
IMG_5382 by tommessenger:photo, on Flickr

Hammer
6782035539_7dc6e7eb4f_z.jpg
IMG_5419 by tommessenger:photo, on Flickr

Pectinia
6742931399_4098bcb94a_z.jpg
IMG_5384 by tommessenger:photo, on Flickr

Goby
6824371263_7b3775cd0f_z.jpg
IMG_5566 by tommessenger:photo, on Flickr

Cheeky Pygmy Angel
6824374939_9d6eb8ae1f_z.jpg
IMG_5581 by tommessenger:photo, on Flickr

Clown
6742929359_2beddc7876_z.jpg
IMG_5391 by tommessenger:photo, on Flickr

Happily though, the attention has fallen back to the ADA 60P for this month. Should be planting up in a couple of weeks I hope.

Tom

Looks amazing. I would love to do something like this but wouldn't know where to start...

What put me off marine tanks was the 'fruit stall' look, ugly equipment, and coralline algae encrusted glass but this clean look is excellent. :thumbup:

If you clean the glass fairly regularly, the coralline won't be able to build up. I'm starting to get it growing on my Koralia and filter inlet now, but I quite like the look on equipment. I don't want any on my glass though. Marines can be as simple as you like. In a low stocked small tank, you're fine with just rock and a good powerhead in the tank. My filter is just for running some Rowaphos really.

To start off, all you need is salt water and some rock. You can build up other bits as you need them.

Back