• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Toad's 5ft Setup

Toad

Seedling
Hi everyone.

I thought I'd better start a journal as I'm getting to the point where the serious aquascaping starts and I'm hoping someone can point out areas where I might be going wrong!

I acquired a 5ft x 18in x 24in tank back in December to replace my old 3ft Juwel Vision 180 (which has many problems and i cant wait til its gone!). Set up is slow to say the least as its now almost half way through February and I still haven't put any water in it! It's my first high tech setup so I've been busy doing a LOT of research.

I decided not to go for a pre-packaged co2 kit and have been buying all the bits needed separately. I have everything I need now except the regulator which is coming from Hong Kong and, judging by the time it's taking, I think it's walking here!

Lights consist of 2 x T5s powered by a ballast bought from eBay, and 840 LEDs (480 white, 120 blue, 120 green and 120 red). I'm not sure how much light output this is actually going to give me as I haven't wired it up and tried it out yet (even when I have wired it up I doubt I'll be able to tell how much light I have and will just have to go by eye).

Substrate is a mix of cat litter and sand - cat litter at the back for the main planting areas and sand at the front. There are also a mixture of rocks - large pieces of Cambrian Green and a bunch of North Sea pebbles.

Now I need to decide on my plant choices...

In your user photo, are you the girl or the toad? :) Good luck with the tank. What are you using for filtration and water movement?

Haha! I'm the girl...well, sort of. It's not me, but I am a girl. Definitely :D

I knew there was something I forgot. Filtration is an Eheim 2080 and an Aquis Advance 1250 with extra movement provided by a 3000L/h (I think) powerhead kindly donated by a very generous forum member :D

Some nice filtration you have going on there!!!

Plans sound great, can't wait to see the pics of it all! :)

Sorry for the lack of photos, there's not much to look at at the moment and my camera/photography skills are a bit poor!

This is where I am at the moment (well, apart from the filter which has been put in place since the photo was taken)
5adb6101-270c-8f1b.jpg

Back