• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To MTS or Not?

Add MTS or Not?

• Total voters

jameson_uk

I have been debating adding Malaysian Trumpet Snails to my tank but I am still unsure...

I have sand which is probably about 5cm deep. One concern is about them out competing the current occupants. I have some Nerites, Amanos and Otos which are the main concern but I also have pond snails and tiny ramshorns. When I added the ramshorns this seems to have had quite a big impact on the pond snail population.

I have added a poll to gauge opinion (which I know doesn't show in Tapatalk so you might need to visit the web page to vote).

For what specific reason are you considering adding Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

JPC
Mainly for cleanup of the substrate. Also have found a few bubbles when I have been attempting to clean some of the substrate so think about them just turning over the sand a little.

I have them in my tanks as well and I hardly notice them tbh unless the lights are off. They form a nice balance with other more "decorative" species you have but I'm not that fussed what does the job, if the jobs getting done. The only thing I will say is that although they are easily controlled with a weighted piece of lettuce that you leave overnight, once they are in, they will always be in.

So I am expecting to have to do a fair amount of manual removal as despite my beast efforts I am often guilty of overfeeding....
What are the chances of these out competing the main occupants for food?

Also will dwarf puffers eat them? (their shells look pretty tough)

So I am expecting to have to do a fair amount of manual removal as despite my beast efforts I am often guilty of overfeeding....

Also will dwarf puffers eat them? (their shells look pretty tough)
Dwarf puffers wait until the snails poke their heads out and then proceed to bite their faces off lol. This is ok if you only have a few snails but if you have a massive population it could cause water quality issues as most of the snail remains in the shell and is left to rot away.

cheers

Conor

They fill a slightly different niche to shrimp and ramshorns so it shouldn't be a problem. Shrimp and ramshorns could also potentially compete with each other but nature tends to find a balance and populations are controlled by available resources.

So I added three about three weeks ago (Varying in size at about 15, 8 and 4 mm each). They went in OK and I saw them scuttling off and starting bury themselves in the substrate but I haven't had sight of them since.
I have tried at lights on and at night but no sign....

Is it likely the MTS haven't survived or quite possible they are staying well out of sight?

I agree, it's normal. You only tend to see a fraction of the ones you have so with only a trio it's not surprising they haven't shown themselves.

I've seen tanks with large infestations of mts that look bare until you add some food, then the substrate begins to boil and they all arise:D

Bear in mind that MTS are not hermaphrodite; they are separate male and female.

So if the three you’ve obtained were taken at random from a large 50:50 population, there‘s a 25% risk that you’ve added 3 males or 3 females (12.5% risk of all male, 12.5% risk of all female).

These are the cockroaches of the aquarium world

I was convinced to add these to an aquarium - they flourished (strange ... as tap water is extremely soft and acidic)
Shut down tank for a move, cleaned and stored gravel, set up a tank with that gravel well over AO year later ..... imagine my surprise when the first signs of life are MTS :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:

(note I only added 3-4 MTS and made no attempt at sexing, I just wanted a few substrate dwellers)

These are the cockroaches of the aquarium world

I was convinced to add these to an aquarium - they flourished
(note I only added 3-4 MTS and made no attempt at sexing, I just wanted a few substrate dwellers)

Agree with the cockroach comment, I also was advised to get a few. I wish that I had not listened.

cleaned and stored gravel, set up a tank with that gravel well over AO year later ..... imagine my surprise when the first signs of life are MTS

I have heard of similar anecdotes with them surviving presumbly in egg form in dry substrate.

Hi all,
I have heard of similar anecdotes with them surviving presumbly in egg form in dry substrate.
I'm pretty sure they are live-bearers, so it must be snails that have survived. I assume in their natural habitat they occur in seasonally wet areas and can survive extended periods of drought, buried in the substrate.

cheers Darrel

Back