• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To drop acclimate or not?

I think we also need to take into account time in the bag, and how many livestock you have in there. Shrimp are not going to produce waste that a bag full of goldfish are going to do. Do people buy goldfish anymore?:D
I’m about to buy some things weekend haha 😂

Depends to where the fish are coming from - for example a LFS on the same water supply you probably don't need to acclimate. However, if your LFS runs on tap and your tank runs on RO there could be a much bigger difference. One of the benefits of a quarantine tank is that you can set it up to match the water they are coming from, temperature acclimate and then plop them in, then do the acclimation over a few weeks until it matches your display tank. The you get best of both techniques and minimise disease risk as a bonus.

Fish from a lfs I always acclimate, I did the same with fish from the local wholesaler when in the shop because even if not necessarily needed it doesn't hurt to be a little cautious.
When we had direct imports of freshwater we always temp acclimated and got them straight out.

With marine fish, which was most of our business, we matched the tank water to the bag water and got them out.

Back