• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TNC trace mix question

HiNtZ

EDIT: NOT TNC - I MEANT "APF" (aquarium plant food UK)

Hey guys, bare with me.... this has taken me some time to work out as I am crap at fractions/percentages/maths as a whole.

Basically the little card I got with my EI kit years ago from APF says for the trace mix:

1 TSP to 500ML water - then goes on to say dose 10ml per 50L of tank water..... I have a 100L tank so 20ml, nice and simple!

It is high tech - high CO2, & stupid high light.

Ok.... so, if I dose 20ml as per the APF instructions that gives me 0.04 % of a teaspoon, or, 1/16th of a teaspoon (I think....) great.

Now on the Zorfox calculator (for a solution) I kept it simple by keeping my dose at 20ml (and the tank volume obviously as 100 liters) on micro days. It says to add 2.5 teaspoons to 500ml - great, fine. So that's 0.10% of a teaspoon, which would be 1/10th of a teaspoon (that's almost double what the APF mix is?!)

Now the question: is the APF premix guideline super lean or what?! I mean, I've been getting some savage necrosis and all the signs of Fe deficiency so I've probably answered my own question - but WHY is it so lean?? If it is? Is it lean? They do say at the bottom "this is a guideline", but that's a pretty ambiguous statement. It means I would have to dose 40ml to get the desired Fe dose. Twice the dose according to their "10ml per 50L" which I was always a bit worried to try because you know, that's DOUBLE :banghead: which to me means "that's gotta be bad, hmmkay".

Anyone had experience with that mix? Why does Zorfox's calculator with the EI option selected add 0.5ppm? That means by the end of the week I have added 1.5ppm instead of the 0.6ppm the APF mix adds! I'm so confused!

Just as a side note same applies to the macros - 10ml per 50 liters:

500ml
6 tsp MGSO4
4 tsp KNO3
1 tsp KH2PO4

I've not started to break this one down yet, too late for such shenanigans :rolleyes: but I tend to overdose the macros as I see fit anyhow.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back