• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tissue culture success!

Hendre

Hi!

I have been experimenting with tissue culture, so far many, many failures, but Monte Carlo is an overwhelming success!

The right Jar on October 22
IMG_20211022_110806.jpg

Today (2 November)
IMG_20211102_094112.jpg

The growth is insane to say the least...

IMG_20211102_093314.jpg

I have some micro swords, cobra grass, and another hygrophila that are clean, will update this as I have more success! :D

I just took the smallest bunch and divided into 22 new ones, I want to get some plastic containers that I can sell them with. I have someone looking for 20 cups for their online shop :D

A large player in the local hobby said I need to grow under many spectrums for good growth. This is unusual, as TC lights are more for hormone regulation since plants have lots of sugar available in the media. Does anyone know more about this?
Maybe it is a fib to discourage competition. Regardless it should do fine being explanted like any other TC plant ever :D

Excellent project! How are you sterilising everything, and keeping it sterile, to prevent bacterial or fungal growth in the invitro pots?

what are you using for your culture? agar agar? adding anything to it?
Agar, sugar, and some nutrients

Excellent project! How are you sterilising everything, and keeping it sterile, to prevent bacterial or fungal growth in the invitro pots?
Autoclave, laminar flow hood, and lots of alcohol! Getting clean cultures is tricky!

Interesting post. Hope you keep posting.
Thanks! This batch was mostly a failure due to how I set up the process, cups deformed and pulled air in as they returned to shape, leading to contamination. I have been given a better idea on how to autoclave them without this happening!

Also turns out the plant is HC, looks way different when put into a tank, which went swimmingly.

So that was a dud, the containers were not up to the autoclave and allowed air in, contamination ensues. 3 months of overheated grow room fried most of my plants. I did get 10 micro swords out which I replated into jars and appear to be doing well.
I have tried some hygros, ludwigia, H'ra, cobra grass, and some tiny tennelus. I will see what is clean and grows.

I tried tougher containers with a different method (long story) and they held up much better. They have carnivorous plant seeds in
1647276366537.png

Was a long day in the lab...

Back