• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tips on growing Dwarf Hair Grass?

si walker

Had my El. Mini. Dwarf Hair Grass in for a couple of weeks now. It's going ok. It's still there!
Although as with other plants some strand's struggle and die off a bit, more than others. Some bits are going a bit ish and grubby. I think that the grass acts like a comb in the water.
Anyone have experience or some top tips for helping it along and keeping it nice. Unlike my garden outside which I have little time for!

Tropica Soil.
Tropica Fertilizer.
DIY Co2.

Gladly received.
Simon.

Hi Si

DIY Co2 is quite difficult to get right as it can produce variable amounts of gas. Depending on your tank size the amounts produced may also be insufficient if you are using high light. if you don’t want to go the pressurised co2 route you may be better off ditching the diy kit as variable co2 is much worse than low IME. In any event if you could describe your set up that will help to identify the specifics

It does like CO2 and benefits from higher light in combo with CO2, without CO2 and higher light it is more tricky esp if in deep tank. Keeping a good flow of water at the substrate level will help but avoid to high a light with CO2 it will need time, it can start to look grubby and I find Amanos help keep it looking pristine, although amanos can eat other plants and do also move aqua soil about and are great escapers if they choose esp in open top tanks.

Once you see new roots your on a winner but with low light and no CO2 it will not be a dense/thick. Below is pic of roots formed 5weeks after planting with DSM, DSM had high light 12hrs a day (do not give 12hrs a day if flooded)

1617703681348.png

Give it time, if its still there there's hope, cleanup crew will help even RCS is better then nothing but Amanos better - depending on what other plants you have.

IMG_20210405_155713804.jpg

I don't normally show pic's of my tank so here it is at present. Bit of a dark pic.
Grass on left 2 week's old. On the right 1 day old. I'm a constant re-scaper.

I get the 'scrap the DIY CO2' thing. But get a constant bubble for 4 week's with my latest concoction, so giving it a good go.

35 litre Dennerle Scapers Tank.
Lighting is X2 Aquael Leddy lights. 6watts each.
7 Hours per day.
1 Amano at the moment.

I was thinking of doing daily mini clean ups/vacuum over it until established?

RCS are cherry shrimp right?
I have never had any before. Maybe I should get some!

Thanks guys!

Back