• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tips for food for my new fish please

RiaHx

Hi everyone,
I’m getting some new fish on Saturday galaxy rasboras 10 of them, is there anything I should feed them specially for there colours or as they are so small I already have 10 ember tetras & 4 shrimps & 7 ottos
Many thanks,
Ria

With all of those fish, seems like you have a nice tank. I recommend frozen Cyclops for your new fish or some sort of micro pellet.

Yes, tiny fish love frozen cyclops, also live ones if you can get hold of some to start a culture.
And Spring is coming, so if you can put a tub of water outside you will get mosquitos laying eggs. For the smallest fish, it's easiest to scoop the egg raft into a jar to hatch, then you can feed them to your little fish when they are newly hatched and tiny.

Hi everyone,
I’m getting some new fish on Saturday galaxy rasboras 10 of them, is there anything I should feed them specially for there colours or as they are so small I already have 10 ember tetras & 4 shrimps & 7 ottos
Many thanks,
Ria

Hi there,

Celestial pearl Danios (CPDs, otherwise known as galaxy Rasboras) love Daphnia (water flea), I find they colour up the most when fed a diet including this food. My main food for my CPDs is a powdered mix of flake food & freeze-dried Dapnia, however I also occasionally feed some frozen bloodworm (just thaw it out for 5 mins in tank water & make sure the worms are small enough to be eaten) - this is especially good food when conditioning for breeding if you're interested in that.

Just be aware that CPDs (unlike some Danios) are very complacent eaters and as such can easily be out competed for food, whatever you decide to feed make sure you put enough in for the CPDs to feed. If you go with the above pellet suggestion make sure they're sinking pellets, the CPDs will rarely ever come to the surface to feed especially when they're not established and will often stay in the bottom half of the tank.

Good luck, they're great fish to keep!

Back