• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Time when lights switch on

Jaap

Hello,

When do you have your lights to turn on and is there a specific reason for that particular time?

Thanks

most of my tanks come on around 4 off at 11 purely so i can see the tanks while my family watch tv only reason being i like to see them lit up and mostly work days. my goldie tank comes on at 6 am goes off at 11 purely to wake me up and let me know how much they have trashed my plants before i go to work :lol: would be interesting to know others photperiods and if there is a specific reason for it concerning plants algae etc good post :thumbup:

Mine are on at 16.00 and off at 10.00. This means I always get to see the tank no matter when I am working. I keep the photo period fairly short as I am low tech and have 2 54W T5's with reflectors.

Andy

I'm currently on at midday and off at 8:00pm. I know that some people think that is too long but it seems to be working for me.

I'm thinking of shifting the timing so it's later though. Maybe on at 14:00 and off at 22:00. That would make it on for more of the time I'm around. Do I just do it at once? Or do I do it bit by bit?

Sorry for the slight hijack!

I have mine on from 4.00 until 11.00.

In my 60l - 10am to 10pm. I know it is too long but the reason for that is because I manually put the CO2 on (I know I should save up and get a solenoid) before I leave for work around 7:30 and I don't want to leave the CO2 running for too long without the lights. The light is only 15w t8, so it works fine for me - no algae etc and my plants are doing OK.

In my 30l fluval Ebi - 5pm to 11pm. This is a new set up, so still in 'suck it and see' phase. Had it on for 3 to 11 but getting some algae issues so I reduced it by couple of hours last week. No CO2 injection in this one, daily dosing of .5ml excel and .5ml tnc complete.

Mine pretty much like everybody else, on throughout the time of day i can appreciate it... currently on a timer that comes on at 12pm and goes off at 6pm.

3pm - 11pm, simply so i can view after work.
Nano tank 5pm - 11pm.

Jaap said:
Hello,

When do you have your lights to turn on and is there a specific reason for that particular time?

Thanks

2pm - 9pm, So I still have time to see my tank lit in the evening without having too long of a period.

I did have my light on a timer, but these days I just put it on when I remember, and switch it off when I go to bed. Altogether pretty random really, but then the plants don't seem to mind, and it confuses the algae :lol:

I guess its on for around 12 hours a day or so but who's counting? :rolleyes: But I suppose the point is that I almost absentmindedly judge what the photoperiod should be from day to day, and it seems to work for me. Such are the joys of a low-energy system.

all my tanks are on timers, different times, from 5 hours upto 8, the first tank comes on at 2pm, and the last tank goes off at 12:30am. i could space them out more really.

Back