• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Tidy Jungle II

Courtneybst

Some excellent photo's of what appears to be a tank coming on beautifully. The fish look in great health.

I had the same with ramshorns and pond snails. I find their population explodes when I overfeed the tank so I've been reigning it in.
Thank you Kogre!

I'm definitely grateful that it's coming along nicely and the fish seem to be happy.

The snails seem to come whether I feed or not haha, I even only feed every other day. I don't mind to be honest. I think I also underestimate how much cleaning the Clithon Corona snails are doing. I put one in my shrimp tank a few days ago as I was waiting for the carpet to have a stronger hold and within 2 days the perimeters were noticeably cleaner.

Courtneybst

Hey everyone, this is a monthly update from the Tidy Jungle II.

I feel like a lot has changed, and a lot is still currently changing. It's a great example of how dynamic aquariums are and are just never the same one day to the next, keeps me on my toes!

• The Nymphoides Taiwan I was gifted has finally filled into the space and is looking very lush! The predation on the leaves has also cut right down. I'm still not entirely sure who was eating them, I still suspect the Amano shrimp.
  • The Tiger Lotus was growing humungous leaves and starting to lose the effect because they were getting too tall to see its beauty. So I started to trim them back hard, leaving only a few leaves and they are now growing smaller just like everyone suggested, so thanks for that! I feed them monthly still as they're hungry plants and I want to keep them at optimal health as they are a bit of a centrepiece.
  • Although there is a little bit of algae on the Java Fern Trident, I hadn't realised how lush it was really getting. I pulled multiple clumps from 'overgrown' areas to fill patches where I thought it could use it and it barely looked any different! So there's a lot more in there than I realised.
  • I've gone from never having kept Bucephalandra back in February to now having over 15 clumps of various species, common and rare. I've nestled them in here, there and everywhere so they're on display, some more subtle.
  • I removed ALL of the Hydrocotyle Leucocephala. I like the plant and it added to the jungle vibe but it is a total maintenance nightmare! It grows so quickly and the lower leaves tend to die off, I just had enough. I also thought it distracted from the nymphoides as they're both luminous green. I think the tank is better for it.
  • The Red Tiger Lotus I have growing epiphytically on the manzanita has been in place for several months now and shows no signs of slowing down. The leaves have doubled in size in the last month.
  • I've changed out the larger filter pipes for Aquario Neo Flow acrylic and I definitely prefer it. Much less visual distraction, and the way it's positioned has meant my CO2 distribution is better somehow. I'll soon be changing the other side, along with the filters and the lighting. Everything is getting an upgrade basically!
  • I've found great success using citric acid to remove little bits of algae. Just a quick dip (10-15 minutes) in a 1 cup water to 1tsp solution does the trick with no harm to the plants.
  • I'm looking into how to dose a leaner version of EI and use more root tabs. I've seen others have success with this and I'd like to dose less in the water column.
tempImagebMxN7w.jpg
B8FAA33A-C9B9-4027-AD03-713B668F3965.JPG
B7402D4E-3269-48AE-918C-5B69F16259D6.JPG
BE35D1FB-F77C-4662-B669-CAABFB3A7778.JPG
dragonegg-compressed.JPG
corydoraskiss-compressed.JPG

Courtneybst

I love this tank. It's come on so well. The hardscape gives such a sense of drama and that lily...😍
Thanks Natalie! I was definitely going for drama with this scape. It was originally a 'centrepiece' aquarium if you like but now it's just for me. 😁
Stunning tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Courtneybst

EA9D248A-B818-426C-9E54-CAA0760BA49E.jpeg

15th August 2021: The scape is doing pretty well, and it's developed a shape that I'm happy with and maintaining. I even had a batch of apistogramma fry reach free swimming stage, and there are some survivors hiding away now they've separated from Mum. Just shows what can happen in regular tap water and with the right natural conditions!
  • The nymphoides needs frequent trimming so I've added some bolbitus that was kindly gifted to me to fill the gaps where the spindly stems lurk and I think it's done the trick.
  • The lotus is beautiful as ever, showing no signs of slowing down. Even the epiphytic lotus is still going all these months later!
  • The ferns are growing very thick and providing a great hiding place for the apistogramma fry.
  • I added some Barclaya Longifolia I got from World of Water and I'm letting it get a little taller so I can either put it into the background or use it in my contest scape (I think the latter is more likely tbh).
  • I spoke to George Farmer and he mentioned replacing the foreground with soil as it's currently only decorative substrate. As the hairgrass is unevenly grown due to natural light on one side, I'll pull it all out and re-plant in the soil with some crypts.
  • I've finally got rid of most of my ugly equipment and upgraded my filters and the tank is much more pleasing to look at, especially at night.
  • I have some BBA that's popped up and some persistent GDA but I'm managing both and neither and out of control...yet 😂
Thanks for having a gander!

shangman

Finally got to visit @Courtneybst 's house yesterday and see his scapes irl (and eat a DELICIOUS lunch) and they're all soooooooo good! There are so many beautiful tanks and little ponds and houseplants with all different styles and techniques. This tank is so beautiful irl, the lotus are especially beautiful (and MASSIVE), the epiphyte one particularly special. And there's great livestock too, including a beautiful ancient golden amano, and those gorg glass catfish. Can't wait to see the video he's done with George Farmer on all his tanks later today, it was great to hear the method behind the madness :D

Thanks for the lovely day Court!!!

Courtneybst

Barclaya longifolia is fast becoming one of my new favourite plants.
It's really really nice. Also great that it maintains good colour even with 'meh' lighting.
Finally got to visit @Courtneybst 's house yesterday and see his scapes irl (and eat a DELICIOUS lunch) and they're all soooooooo good! There are so many beautiful tanks and little ponds and houseplants with all different styles and techniques. This tank is so beautiful irl, the lotus are especially beautiful (and MASSIVE), the epiphyte one particularly special. And there's great livestock too, including a beautiful ancient golden amano, and those gorg glass catfish. Can't wait to see the video he's done with George Farmer on all his tanks later today, it was great to hear the method behind the madness :D

Thanks for the lovely day Court!!!
Thank you Rosie! It was such a fun day and great to show what's been keeping me busy for the last 6 months!

Wookii

In case @Courtneybst is too modest to post - he's the featured aquascaper in @George Farmer latest video:

Some beautiful and interesting little scapes and projects there Courtney - the video gives a much more impressive insight into them than the stills we all normally post.

I'm particularly interested to hear about the Buce propagation project mentioned in the video - I'm not sure if you've posted about it elsewhere, but if not a new thread detailing it would be great if you are willing and able, as I'd like to try similar myself 👍

Courtneybst

In case @Courtneybst is too modest to post - he's the featured aquascaper in @George Farmer latest video:

Some beautiful and interesting little scapes and projects there Courtney - the video gives a much more impressive insight into them than the stills we all normally post.

I'm particularly interested to hear about the Buce propagation project mentioned in the video - I'm not sure if you've posted about it elsewhere, but if not a new thread detailing it would be great if you are willing and able, as I'd like to try similar myself 👍
Thank you Wooki, I think you hit the nail on the head! I'm far too modest for my own good sometimes 😅

Like you said, I feel like the videos really capture the essence of the scapes much better than stills can. I'm very appreciative to have been able to share it with you all.

I didn't create the Buce box concept by any means but I'm happy to share the propagation journey and how it was set up. I can start a journal on it.

Last edited: