• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tide simulation, looking for thoughts.

Nont

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to recreate the daily tide cycle in my aquarium, to mimic the salt flat habitats where plants are subjected to flooding on a daily basis during high tides.

I have 2 ideas as follows:

The first one is to use two separate tanks. The inlet will be a matten filter like lift tube, powered by an air pump to slowly drain water out. The water will then be returned using a water pump. Both pumps will be on separate timers. However, I'm having trouble finding a water pump with a slow enough flow and for this to work properly.

The second idea is to use a single aquarium with a glass divider to separate the sides. There would be 2 air-powered lift tubes, one for the outlet and one for the inlet. This would allow the water to flow from one side to the other with a presumably similar flow rate.

My apologies for the terrible drawings, but I hope they help to illustrate my ideas. 😖
I'm open to more ideas, suggestions, critiques and feedback on these designs.

IMG_1487.jpeg

Last edited:
Back