• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Threadfin Rainbow fish query . . .

Wookii

I'm looking to add a shoal of around 12-15 Threadfin Rainbow fish to my next tank.

I_werneri_49.jpg

Does anyone now whether I need to aim for a specific mix of males and females? Or is it better to have just males? I'm keen to see natural behaviour from them, but don't want to incite any unnecessary aggression by having the wrong mix of sexes - most of the online resources suggest they are one of the most peaceful fish available, but some owner reports I have read suggest some significant aggression between males when competing over females (though how accurate that is, or whether they were experiences of small shoal sizes, I'm not sure).

Hi all,
I'm keen to see natural behaviour from them, but don't want to incite any unnecessary aggression by having the wrong mix of sexes
Definitely have some females if you can find them. The male does an amazing "fin flicking" dance when excited. The really like micro worms as a food item.

With the proviso that I keep very weedy tanks, but I never experienced any real hostility between males.

I don't tend to take too much notice of what web-sites say, they usually describe Pencilfish etc as "peaceful" which is totally untrue, males are invariably homicidal to other males and often they don't like females either.

cheers Darrel

They are a great fish and pretty easy going. I wouldn't keep them with shrimps as they will eat the babies. During feeding time they dart around and when they want to mate their colours flare. Sadly mine only lasted a year.

I got these from a member off UKAPS back in 2010 !

They are a great fish and pretty easy going. I wouldn't keep them with shrimps as they will eat the babies. During feeding time they dart around and when they want to mate their colours flare. Sadly mine only lasted a year.

I got these from a member off UKAPS back in 2010 !

Thanks, beautiful looking fish, but they look like Pseudomugil furcatus (Forktail Rainbows) rather than Iriatherina werneri (Threadfin Rainbows), or do you mean you've kept both?

Apologies. I placed a video of scissortails indeed. I have had threadfin in that same tank over the years. The latter was the scissortails.
For the tank I chucked in leaf litter and alder cones to lower hardness etc. :)

Back