• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thinking of getting a Fluval G6 (media questions...)

Gary Nelson

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and moving from my Eheim 2075 to the Fluval G6 - if anyone is running the G6 can you tell me can you add things like Purigen? is there compartments for things like this? from what I've been reading you have to buy all the media separate as well?

Any advice opinions on this would be great :thumbup:

Re: Thinking of getting a Fluval G6

Hi Gary

Its a neat looking filter i like this it has very smart filtration process not bad price nether

Have you looked at EHEIM professional 3 electronic this filter take it to a hole new level this is just so smart with USB connection to PC you can fine tune almost every detail of filtration process

Have you seen this video Ehiem Pro 3e Review

Think filtration is going to change massively in 2012 with the Seneye and filters like the Ehiem Pro 3e were going to see some very smart tec hitting the market in next few years

I've ran a G6 for over 18 months. Best filter I've ever used. I've raved about this filter a fair bit on UKAPS and elsewhere.

It comes supplied with all the media you need.

If you want to add Purigen, you can, but the supplied chemical filtration cartridge does the same job. It is more expensive though, so use Purigen in the bio media baskets once it's exhausted, if you need to. I personally wouldn't bother, as once the tank is mature the plants perform all the chemical filtration you'll need.

The best thing about the filter is that it takes seconds to maintain due the the quick-release pre-filter. It's a purely mechanical filter so you can wash it under the tap by using the supplied cleaning brush. I clean the pre-filter with every water change. It's surprising how much crud it collects, even in a low-stocked tank.

The pre-filter is so good I only clean the bio media every 6 months. When I do there's virtually no solid matter blocking the pores.

I also really like the temp. and flow monitors. I know for a fact that an inline heater provides a much more stable temp. than an internal heater. I also know if I need to clean the pre-filter because the indicated flow drops via the monitor.

I also like the conductivity meter. I know that I need to change 'x' amount of water to prevent the dissolved organic matter and dosed nutrients etc. from creeping up, thus giving me a stable water chemistry.

Flow rate is great and build quality rivals, if not surpasses Eheim. It's in a totally different league to the other Fluval externals (hence the cost). It's also certainly much easier to set up and maintain than Eheim. And it looks better too, IMO.

The lack of heater is a shame, and I've mentioned this to Hagen numerous times...

If you do get one, I don't think you'll regret it.

George Farmer said:
I've ran a G6 for over 18 months. Best filter I've ever used. I've raved about this filter a fair bit on UKAPS and elsewhere.

If you want to add Purigen, you can, but the supplied chemical filtration cartridge does the same job. It is more expensive though, so use Purigen in the bio media baskets once it's exhausted, if you need to. I personally wouldn't bother, as once the tank is mature the plants perform all the chemical filtration you'll need.

The best thing about the filter is that it takes seconds to maintain due the the quick-release pre-filter. It's a purely mechanical filter so you can wash it under the tap by using the supplied cleaning brush. I clean the pre-filter with every water change. It's surprising how much crud it collects, even in a low-stocked tank.

The pre-filter is so good I only clean the bio media every 6 months. When I do there's virtually no solid matter blocking the pores.

I also really like the temp. and flow monitors. I know for a fact that an inline heater provides a much more stable temp. than an internal heater. I also know if I need to clean the pre-filter because the indicated flow drops via the monitor.

I also like the conductivity meter. I know that I need to change 'x' amount of water to prevent the dissolved organic matter and dosed nutrients etc. from creeping up, thus giving me a stable water chemistry.

Flow rate is great and build quality rivals, if not surpasses Eheim. It's in a totally different league to the other Fluval externals (hence the cost). It's also certainly much easier to set up and maintain than Eheim. And it looks better too, IMO.

The lack of heater is a shame, and I've mentioned this to Hagen numerous times...

Hey George, one of the things that worries me about this sort of filter is the cost of the replaceable parts. I don't know a lot about the G6/G3's but from looking at the new Rena filter (which I am sure is not in the league of the G6) if you change the replaceable filter media on the regularity prescribed, it would cost a couple of hundred quid a year. Whats the deal with this one ?

Simple answer - don't replace the media. Once the chemical media is exhausted you can remove the cartridge and run it without. Like I said, plants are great chemical filters...

I've replaced the pre-filter once in 18 months. If you clean it every week or so, and it only takes 30 secs from start to finish (you don't even need to turn off the filter), then it stays perfectly serviceable.

The bio media will last a lifetime.

Seriously, it's an awesome piece of kit. I'm sure any owner will agree.

George Farmer said:
Simple answer - don't replace the media. Once the chemical media is exhausted you can remove the cartridge and run it without. Like I said, plants are great chemical filters...

I've replaced the pre-filter once in 18 months. If you clean it every week or so, and it only takes 30 secs from start to finish (you don't even need to turn off the filter), then it stays perfectly serviceable.

The bio media will last a lifetime.

Seriously, it's an awesome piece of kit. I'm sure any owner will agree.

Sweet as. Happy to take your recommendation :) I will keep my eyes peeled for a bargain...

I can confirm that I am the proud owner of G6 :D

I think it was George who convinced me to take the plunge as I had doubts myself? Trust me, you won`t be dissapointed??

I can`t really add any more input as it has pretty much all been covered by George. But I will agree completely that the ease of maintainance, and the flow and temperature readings are massive bonuses. I was forever guessing with my Ehiem if the flow had dropped, and after using the G6 It is apparant that it most certainly would have, now I know when to carry out maintainance to achieve maximum flow rate at all times. I have also now been able to removed that ugly thermometer from the tank as the temperature reading is observed by the simple touch of a button. (I never get bored of the blue LED screen) :geek:

After 5 weeks of running the filter I finally removed the media baskets to clean them. Shouldn`t of bothered. SPOTLESS....The 2 pre filters are housed in a large chamber that is seperate from the main Biological media. How the filter works is that it forces detrius to the bottom of the chamber avoiding any entering the main chamber where the media baskets are housed. Kind of difficult to explain? But as a Design Engineer I wet my pants when I first took it apart and examined the guts of it and realised this solution!! :lol:

You will have to buy the Fluval Pre Filter. Roughly £20-£25. Weekly maintainance will ensure longitivity, and I use activated carbon in my chemical compartment. I just use the net bag supplied with the carbon and slot it straight in. I want to have a go with Purigen, but until I remortgage it will have to wait. :lol:

The only grievance I have is that I had to remove my AM1000 reactor as it was just too restrictive of flow. :thumbdown: It`s a shame because I was loving the results I was getting from the AM. I have had to revert back to the UP Atomizer which I hate due to the mist it creates. Flow is back up to 100% though now so can`t complain to much. I just feel if I had gone for the FX5 I could of still used the AM. Never mind, as a gadget freak with a stainless and black gloss fetish it ticks all my boxes!

P.s George. Please explain the importance of conductivity. Or is that for another thread? :D

Hey Liam, surely if the reactor restricts flow on the G6 it would restrict it on anything ? How does it make a difference which filter you have? Also, how much purigen do you need as I know a place I can get it a lot cheaper than most if not all :)

George Farmer said:

Thanks for that in depth analysis George, I really appreciate that and guess what, you have persuaded me to get one!
You have answered allot of my questions especially on Purigen etc. I have been looking around and most stores seem to be selling them at the same sort of prices - unless there is a store/dealer doing a better price?

I will be running my external 300w inline heater so it should suit it very well - I just need to find the best price now.

Thanks to everyone also with there opinions on this, some great advice as usual :thumbup:

Regarding the Purigen issue - I have been contacted by Hagen who tell me it is possible to pop off the lid of the supplied chemical media cartridge, remove the supplied media once it's exhausted and use your own.

This is great news for those who wish to use carbon/Purigen etc. as you won't need to open up the main filter body. The chemical media cart is a quick release; the same as the mech pre-filter. :thumbup:

Enjoy!

George Farmer said:
Hagen who tell me it is possible to pop off the lid of the supplied chemical media cartridge, remove the supplied media once it's exhausted and use your own.
This is what i've done. Binned off the supplied carbon and swapped it for a sock full of purigen.

Hey Liam, surely if the reactor restricts flow on the G6 it would restrict it on anything ? How does it make a difference which filter you have? Also, how much purigen do you need as I know a place I can get it a lot cheaper than most if not all

Hi Antipofish, I was refering to the pump capacity of both the G6, and the FX5. I believe the later has a higher turnover so If I had decided to go for this filter I could of taken the hit on the loss of flow if I had continued to use my AM reactor. My tank is 180ltr, with the G6 and the AM1000 flow dropped to around 50-60%!!! :wideyed:

Liam, consider moving your diffuser onto the inlet side. It's what I've done and it's great.
Do you not get a large build up of gas in the filter? The way that the AM is designed is for the injection of gas to enter the base of the chamber via the Co2 tubing. If I was to reverse the input/output of water surley the gas would just travel straight out of the reactor before diffusion?

This is what i've done. Binned off the supplied carbon and swapped it for a sock full of purigen.
I have never used the fluval Chemical filter either? I just pop a sack full of carbon straight in there.
How much Purigen does it take to fill the cartridge Dan, just out of interest?
As for the price Antipofish. Think I saw it for £35 for 500ml.... :woot:

Quetzalcoatl said:
Liam, consider moving your diffuser onto the inlet side. It's what I've done and it's great.
Do you not get a large build up of gas in the filter?
No.

The microbubbles produced from the (Up Aqua) inline diffuser travel straight into the filter and get completely dissolved before re-entering the water column. I've ran up to 4BPS with no cavitation, or build-up of CO2 gas.

It's a very good way of injecting CO2 IME.

Is there a link anyone has to the demo video of the G6 ?

Ahh, Sorry mate I thought you were refering to the AM1000 and the inlet! :oops:
I will give that ago. I imagine the Mechanical Filter would act as a great method of diffusion? I had the UP Atomizer on the inlet of my Ehiem. It wasnt very effective, it did tend to accumilate alot of gas in there!

Antipofish. Heres the official video. Doesn`t really demonstrate the flow though! I`m sure there are other videos on Youtube. I would make my own video but have no video recorder! :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LEsRncH6VM&feature=related

Without meaning to highjack the thread (sorry Gary) but what are others using on their outlets with the G6? Supplied spray bars, Lily Pipes, or other?

I will be ordering my Fluval G6 tomorrow :) but I have a couple of questions before I use it...

My setup is that my existing Eheim 2075 has been running for around 14 months, so nice and mature... however the filter was transfered over to my new tank 3 weeks ago which has all new gravel, wood, rock etc. When I setup the tank I did transfer over a few jug fulls off my old tank gravel and placed over the new, which I think has help the bacteria build up quicker?

The tank is 200 litres and my fish stock is:
10 Harliquins - 15 Rummynose - 4 ottos - 6 Angels.

1. When I add my new G6 filter is it best or possible add some of my Ehiem filter media?
2. Is it to risky to just remove my old filter and replace with the new one seeing as my current tank is so new?
3. I do not really fancy having both new and old filters running on the tank at the same time.
4. Could I bag all the Ehiem filter contents and just place in my tank for several weeks?

Any help/advice would be great as I do not want this to go pear shapped seeing as all is going great on this new tank so far....

Back