• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

thinking of changing from jbl 1901 to fluval fx4

Simon S

Seedling
Hi
i have been using the 1901 for about 2 years now on my planted 400L discus tank.
on the plus side it offers good tank turn over rate and is reasonably quiet.
however i have a few niggles with it too.

i find the hose attachment really difficult to remove sometimes and i know this has been mentioned elsewhere.
also when re-installing the baskets after maintenance i sometimes have a problem seating them correctly, so the head unit does then not seal properly.
i have also had an issue with the head seal recently, is there a recommended timescale to renew the seal?
the way its designed with the lifting handles on the head rather than the body means the weight of the canister when full of water is trying to separate the canister from the head as you lift it back into place in your cabinet.
had a serious leak due to this recently.
i know lots of filters follow similar design (but that does not make it right, imo) .
i just feel if these issues could be addressed by jbl's design.

as a result i am looking at alternatives that still offer a comparative flow.
the main contender is the fx4.
i am interested to know if anyone has any other suggestions or comments on my niggles with the jbl?
thanks for looking

Back