• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thermo filter by eheim any good ?

Deano3

Hi all i am currently buying all my parts for aquarium i have ordered a ADA 60f only 8.5 gallons i am trying to decide weather to use a fluval 206 with hydor inline heater 200w or buying a all in one unit like Eheim Professionel 2324 External Filter with Heater .any one used these and whats you opinion not sure if better if all in one or not ?

found it here for £116 when at checkout http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filt ... heim/40946

any opinions be great
thanks dean

Hi Dean,

I went for that exact same deal 2 months ago and very happy so far. Filter is right next to my bed and completely silent now that its gunged up a bit, and is happily keeping my 240l tank at 22 degrees. Can definitely recommend them and less plumbing to tie itself in knots.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of flow for an 8 gallon tank though, but then I'm used to ultra low tech setups.

can you turn down the flow rate ? do you think it would be far to high ? i want a larger filter than required

very cheap that offer
Thanks Dean

Thanks mate anyone else thin the flow rate will be ok and recoemd the eheim filter and heater rather than 2 separate bits ?

Thanks dean

Well I'm running a 2078, which is rated for a up to a 700ltr tank on my 96 litre. And it's running on full power on my Ryuoh Ravine scape.

Go big. I thought I would have troubles going too big, as every 24 hours the filter turns itself up to full power to do a system check.
Which is when I thought it would turn my tank into a swirling pool of Chocolate milkshake.

Turns out not. It's fantastic.

Brilliant so u think on a 8 gallon that would be fine and keep a nice temp and also would you prefer the all in one over a separate filter and heater ?

Dean

Hmm, I'm not sure deano. On one hand, it reduces faffing about with extra equipment, and obviously the visual impact.

But on the other, if the heater fails, it's just a normal filter. With less media space in the trays.

I can't decide mate, Its 6 & 2 3's.

The filter should be ok for it if your using a full length spraybar. May be a bit powerful out of a lily pipe.

:thumbup:

I wanted nice glass Lilly pipes but if you can get nice glass spray at Suppose that would work also

Anyone else got opinions ? Thanks again mate

:thumbup: ...for the Eheim Thermo Filter.
Never had any issues with these filters....Fluval should have taken a leaf out of Eheim's book and integrated a heater within the G6.So its :thumbdown: too them.
Cheers
hoggie

Does anyone think the flow rate be too high for a shoal of tetras or will it be ok ? Just a large filter so worring lol

Thanks Dean

I'll just add my two penny worth.
Had an Eheim Thermofilter running on a 24 Gal tank for two years now.
Bought 2nd hand but still running sweet and never a problem.
Flow fine on mine with tetras and I do like the idea of less in the tank the better :thumbup:
Sorry just realised yours is only 8.5 Gal but as mentioned flow adjustment via the taps is possible

So should be ok on a small tank a few ppl saying it will be crazy strong lol , so with the taps i will be able to turn it right down to ok flow

thanks Dean

Dean, to put it into perspective, the flow rate on yours is "up to 700lph". In planted tanks we aim for a good 10x volume or more, as flow rate. Your tank is about 40L. The ACTUAL flow rate of your filter will be LESS than the maximum rated flow as it will have "head" to contend with and media in the trays. Thus, I would say it is IDEAL :thumbup: If you do need to reduce the flow it will only be minimal. You can do this with the taps OR you can add an extra layer of filter floss too. (The denser the media the slower the water can flow through the filter).

Whitey's tank is just over twice yours, and his filter is 2.5 times what yours is rated at, so in context I would again say, "NO WUKKAS" mate ;) You'll be fine with that filter. And it is a good deal too. I looked on the German Zooplus website and it was not any cheaper.

One thing cannot be denied though, EHEIM ROCK :)

thanks a lot for all the help i am ordering that filter/heater then and hopefully eheim is as good as everybody says lol

thanks again sure will have more questions soon
Dean

Hopefully not overpowering for suck a shallow tank aswel but like you say I will just put the minimal flow on it, thanks mate ordering today and website was down yesterday

Dean

Deano3 said:
Hopefully not overpowering for suck a shallow tank aswel but like you say I will just put the minimal flow on it, thanks mate ordering today and website was down yesterday

Dean

Dean if you can you are better slowing things down by packing the media boxes as a first approach. I dont know what media that comes with, if any, but Eheim ehfi substrat pro is more restrictive than say Sera Siporax, because of its shape. Also filter wool slows things down too.

If you go with lily pipes you want to consider the bubble type. Pariahrob on here would be the man to talk to about that and I am sure he would be happy to hear from you by PM.

Enjoy your new machine :thumbup:

What do you mean by bubble type ? For the filter Lilly pipes ? Thanks again been very helpful

Dean

Back